Is return ticket required to enter?

If you are not a resident of Argentina, there is a high chance they'll ask for a return ticket. What I always do: I buy the cheapest ticket I can find the morning of my flight to Argentina, as it takes me 12 hours to get there, I cancel the ticket once I clear customs at the airport in Argentina. I think all airlines fully refound any tickets canceled less than 24 hours after booking.
I entered the country a few weeks ago, booked the ticket 1 day prior..
no return ticket and nothing..

I guess it's a little bit who checks you :)

Some years ago it was suggested to buy an onward ticket with Buquebus BA to Colonia..?

Last edited:

Another solution. Buy a ticket to 'anywhere out of the country'.....use United Air refundable. After landing...cancel. United cancelations are easy peasy...one or two clicks and fast refunds to your credit card.

It's an option, but what you also can say, if they are asking for it, is that you want to explore the country than travel on to Uruguay/Brazil.

So, yeah, just as an update. Specifically for us - nobody asked for a return ticket. I do hear from time to time from other expacts that they had a different experience and were not boarded in origin country.

Just adding more experiences: I didn't need to show an onward ticket when I arrived in BA but when I left Medellín for BA they checked to see if I had an onward ticket first. Flew Copa.

I just entered into Argentina this past week and my flight out of the US didn't ask to see return travel nor did the immigration in Argentina. They asked me the typical questions, how long I was planning on staying and where I was staying, with who.
Other than that, the whole process was very smooth and had no issues getting through.

I have been coming here since 2004, never have I been asked about my return trip. I am always asked where I am staying, but not my return. I have come three times without a return trip booked and once overstayed my visa. After the overstay I was always asked when i would leave, until I had a new passport, but never about my return trip.

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and tried searching, but it seems last time something like that was discussed in 2013 or so, things tend to change in a decade, so I'll ask again. We are planning to move to Argentina for a couple years or more on rentista visa. Currently, I'm searching for the plane tickets and the question I have is - do I need to show a proof of return ticket or something like that?

Qatar airlines site says: "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.". Buying a full set of return tickets is a considerable expense (like 4k usd at the moment, sure, I'll be able to refund most of it, but still), so I would prefer to avoid if possible. Is this really required? Is there a regulation/law I can refer that says that it's not required? If it is actually required - would a ticket to a neighboring country suffice? Idk, to Uruguay or Chile?

Thanks in advance =)
I just entered on a one way ticket 12/28. No questions asked.

Back