Is returning to the USA really desirable?

I laughed all the way through this. You guys are really funny. But it is a puzzle what is happening to America. My son spent time in Poland years ago resulting from his job and when he came home on vacation, he'd say, "Come on Mom, go with me." I'd get in his truck and we'd go sit in the parking lot of Wal-Mart watching people coming and going and he'd ask that question. He said people in Poland don't look like that. So why do people look like that here? To answer you, Steveinbsas, I like my country and her heritage, but something is really wrong there.

willwright said:
Actually I agree with Steve. In Argentina Walmart is a step-up in shopping from what you experience locally. At least the one I've been in the employees actually seem fairly well trained and they give decent service a rarity in Argentina. It's easy to make fun of the people as it's always been know as the low-end of retailing. My guess is that a lot of the people that say they would never go there actually do secretly if they can save a few bucks. Its like asking who goes to McDonald's, a lot of people will say they don't. I've gone to McDonald's in Argentina fairly frequently. If the choice is between a Big Mac and some bad food and probably more expensive eatery in Argentina I'll pick the Big Mac most of the time.
I realize it may be hard for you to imagine realities outside of your own but allow me to assure you that there are many people who would never consider entering a McDonalds or a Walmart, much less to do so and then lie about it. But feel free to tell yourself any fairy tales you wish.

I've lived most of my life in the US and the only Walmart I've ever been to was in the mountians of Quebec, Canada... And the one at the Dot Baires mall on General Paz which was considerably underwhelming.

arlean said:
To answer you, Steveinbsas, I like my country and her heritage, but something is really wrong there.

Yes, there is.

I love my home/native country and it's heritage, especially, on the eve of the 4th of July and we are referring to the Constitution of the United States and those who have done their best to preserve and protect it.

There are millions of Americans who suffer from obesity because they simply don't have the self discipline to stop stuffing their faces (and won't listen to Goddess Michelle on how to eat properly). I once weighed 25 kilos more than I do today, but I listened to Harvey Diamond, not anyone in government...and I lost the weight.

No health care law at any level will solve this problem...including the silly ones in NYC or anything the federal government tries. I stay thin now because I simply do not eat too much, and I have at least three hamburgers per week!

It's up to the individual (with individual liberty) to choose to be healthy or not. I think Argentines are generally much thinner that "Americans: because they have better eating habits. They eat at specific times per day...not whenever they are hungry...like so many North Americans.

GuyinBA said:
I've lived most of my life in the US and the only Walmart I've ever been to was in the mountians of Quebec, Canada... And the one at the Dot Baires mall on General Paz which was considerably underwhelming.

Walmart stores in Argentina indeed have far less to offer than those in the USA, but overall they offer much more than any other large (chain) store in Argentina.

And I am happy to be able to shop there without seeing all the big butts.

surfing said:
I realize it may be hard for you to imagine realities outside of your own but allow me to assure you that there are many people who would never consider entering a McDonalds or a Walmart, much less to do so and then lie about it. But feel free to tell yourself any fairy tales you wish.

THIS IS THE MOST ARROGANT POST I'VE EVER READ IN THIS FORUM.

What kind of person would consider NOT entering a MCDonalds or a Walmart a virtue or something to be proud of?

Both Walmart and McDonalds in many countries have helped raise the standard of living for millions.

ESPECIALLY IN THE USA!!!

I remember driving past thrift shops (even cheaper then Walmart) in my new 1986 BMW and was arrogant because I didn't have to shop there.

Four years later I was driving a disgarded telephone compay van from thrift shop to thrift shop (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.) hoping I could find something to resell so I could buy groceries at Walmart.

Even then, I still bought all my clothes in the thrift shops.

Now I shop at Walmart once a month, but it isn't nearly as desirable as a year ago.

That's only because they have less imports than ever.

I started this thread in humor.

Now I'm serious.

Walmart and McDonalds provide value to those who need it most.

Those who can't afford to take thier kids to McDonald's or shop at Walmart will never read about it here.

And they will probably never go surfing.

Perhaps we should feel sorry for all the small businesses Walmart forced to close.

No need for that as the number is zero.

steveinbsas said:
THIS IS THE MOST ARROGANT POST I'VE EVER READ IN THIS FORUM.

What kind of person would consider NOT entering a MCDonalds or a Walmart a virtue or something to be proud of?

Both Walmart and McDonalds in many countries have helped raise the standard of living for millions.

ESPECIALLY IN THE USA!!!

I remember driving past thrift shops (even cheaper then Walmart) in my new 1986 BMW and was arrogant because I didn't have to shop there.

Four years later I was driving a disgarded telephone compay van from thrift shop to thrift shop (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.) hoping I could find something to resell so I could buy groceries at Walmart.

Even then, I still bought all my clothes in the thrift shops.

Now I shop at Walmart once a month, but it isn't nearly as desirable as a year ago.

That's only because they have less imports than ever.

I started this thread in humor.

Now I'm serious.

Walmart and McDonalds provide value to those who need it most.

Those who can't afford to take thier kids to McDonald's or shop at Walmart will never read about it here.

And they will probably never go surfing.
Arrogant? I was responding to the poster who said that people who say they don't go to McDonalds and Walmart are really going but just not admitting it. There are many many people who would never consider eating fast food and for whom Walmart is just not attractive. Neither thing has anything to do with arrogance; we don't all lead the same lives. Where are you reading "virtue" or "proud"??? Please don't read things in to my post that are not there!

Back