Is returning to the USA really desirable?

surfing said:
Arrogant? I was responding to the poster who said that people who say they don't go to McDonalds and Walmart are really going but just not admitting it. There are many many people who would never consider eating fast food and for whom Walmart is just not attractive. Neither thing has anything to do with arrogance; we don't all lead the same lives. Where are you reading "virtue" or "proud"??? Please don't read things in to my post that are not there!

Bullshit. Here's your post:

surfing said:
I realize it may be hard for you to imagine realities outside of your own but allow me to assure you that there are many people who would never consider entering a McDonalds or a Walmart, much less to do so and then lie about it. But feel free to tell yourself any fairy tales you wish.

Experssions like "allow me to you assure you" are not only arrogant but also consescending...to say the least....especially when you say "I realize it may be hard for you to imagine realities outside of your own" or "feel free to tell yourself any fairy tales you wish."

I am always happy to resond to reason and logic.

If you have a rational response I would be happy to continue this dicussion.

I live in Southern California and believe me, the WalMart issue of obesity is real. The people that shop there are HUGE! Obesity is a problem here in the US. I just hope it doesn't creep southward to BA. I'd hate to see all of those beautiful women down there expand to ridiculous sizes like the women I see here. God Save Us All from McDonalds.

EDIT: I would like to temper my thoughts by offering up an apology to those that think that fast food, smoking cigarettes and working out is reserved only for the vain.

steveinbsas said:
Bullshit. Here's your post:

Experssions like "allow me to you assure you" are not only arrogant but also consescending...to say the least....especially when you say "I realize it may be hard for you to imagine realities outside of your own" or "feel free to tell yourself any fairy tales you wish."

I am always happy to resond to reason and logic.

If you have a rational response I would be happy to continue this dicussion.
I stand by every thing I said and I am not going to debate you.

surfing said:

I admire your courage. :rolleyes:

Perhaps someone else has the cajones to take me on. :eek:

Next wave, por favor. :D

Estoy listo. ;)

images

Alright, we'll call it a draw! :rolleyes:

surfing said:

Well then just be honest about what you already posted in this thread.

This thread goes to prove the inherent negativity of most people on this forum. Walmart is perhaps the polar opposite of Buenos Aires.

Walmart USA = cheap everything PARA TODOS. Including everyday goods like diapers, milk, and lightbulbs. Mostly due to the *incredibly awesome* liberal, duty-free US import policy.

Easy/Jumbo = SUPER expensive everything. Diapers = 2x cost. TVs like 4x cost.

Bashing Walmart is bashing an increased standard of living for the average person.

HOW DARE WALMART LEVERAGE AN EFFECTIVE (AND CHEAP) SUPPLY CHAIN!!!!

One, I don't step foot in a wal mart if I can help it.

And two, Argentina has its fair share of wack jobs...

You know, I don't really post anymore because I've gone from living in Buenos Aires to becoming an in-and-out visitor. It's been a few months since I've been in town so with every passing day any possibly useful advice I may have becomes more and outdated.

However, I do read the forum from time to time to keep up with the news. And I've picked up on something, at least the times when I do read it. The worse things get in Argentina, the more people express their pleasure at superficial things, like how nice people in BA dress or how hot the women are (you will notice straight female/gay male posters don't really mention the appearance of the men--interpret as you please; I am not implying anything with this observation). The worse things are in Argentina, the more vitriol is spewed at people's physical appearance in English-speaking countries. Does Argentina only have superficial things to offer now that everything else sucks so much? Is that all that is left to cling to? You guys sure make it sound like that now.

Obesity is a dreadful health problem in the U.S. to be sure, and I personally am not at all sexually attracted to overweight people, so I get that, but I am not personally offended by their sight either. The body is a shell. A human being is a human being. When one of the few positives a person repeats about the place he or she lives is "at least I don't have to look at cottage cheese thighs," that's just...sad. And, frankly, superficial. And Jesus, it bears repeating, if any of you would ever venture south of Avenida Córdoba, you would see more fat brown Argentines than you would know what to do with. I doubt that's changed in just a few months. How many chubby people do you see living in Beverly Hills or on the Upper East Side? Get it in perspective. It's like when people compare crime in Recoleta to crime in the Bronx. Of course you are going to be surrounded by hot people in the richest neighborhoods in the city--the whole world works like this.

(Steve, we all know how much you love where you live. No need to repeat it, in case you were tempted to in response to this. ;))

Back