Is Speaking Spanish A Necessity?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
I knew a level of Spanish was necessary and I didn’t want to be an annoying foreigner who expects everybody to know some English. No decision has been made on the job yet but I can honestly say the language is the only issue I’m having with the whole relocation. If it is going ahead it would commence late August so technically there would be time to learn something at least. All I would need is enough to get by with shopping, eating out, public transport etc.
#Iznogud – I am young and the pay is good so I really want to do it!
Thanks again everybody

I hate to disagree with some of these smart people here but I know people who have been here for perhaps four years and speak very little Spanish. When I first came to South America, knew a tiny bit of Spanish. I could order a meal, but Heaven help me if they asked to clarify anything. Lots of times when they realized they couldn't they just shrugged and went on. It always turned out okay Same in the grocery store. Of course things are MUCH better now for me, but that was then.

I also have a number of English speaking native Argentina friends. I am not conversational so my friends have to speak English. Some of them speak just enough and fill in English words that don't know with Spanish and I know enough Spanish now to understand. Unlike other posters here, In my area, may people speak English. However, I find they will claim that they don't because they don't have confidence. But after a while you find out they do. Some areas may not be that way. Having said all that, life will be so much more fun the more Spanish you can pick up,. I struggled until I found a course that is all audio and it has really helped. I kind of did a crash course with this before I went for my citizenship appointment. If you're interested you can go to my web site www.fourflagsjournal.com and click on Learn Spanish Fast in the top bar. You can get a lot of sample lessons to see if you like it, plus if you sign up for it (pay money) you still have a month to cancel. And what is there to lose? In checking it out for free, you will learn some Spanish.

Don't worry that I'm just peddling. I have never sold enough at one time to make money. It is on there because it made such a fast difference for me that I put it there for the ease of subscribers.

One more comment. My son was hired to manage a crew of men for an international company. He had had a semester of Spanish in college and dropped out because it was dragging his average down. But the company thought he'd be okay. The crew spoke no English. He told me the stress was terrible and every night he was studying Spanish. But today he switches between English and Spanish without even being aware he does it. I think you'll do fine. In your place I would come.

If the language barrier is holding you back then don't let it. It is not that big of a deal to cancel a great experience. You will be restricted I think but it would not be a reason for me not to come.You are young ,you will fall on your feet ! I would take the opportunity with both hands . At worst you are a two hour bus ride away from the Capital . If memory serves the fare is around 30 pesos or 5 pounds. If Campana gets too quiet for you you can always head for the city on weekends.

McIIvar I am not sure how your company is running with your relocation but as I think may have been brushed over lightly there is a few things I would highlight:
- Work visa: you mentioned this was all being organised and thats great. Same happened with me, except make sure its all done and you have it prior to leaving. My company made the mistake of organising once I was here and it was such a pain.
- Transport: Do you need a car? If Campana is small it might be adviseable? Is your work going to help with this.
- The official FX rate is significantly different from the unofficial, and it can be difficult to transfer money out of the country. Not sure about your remuneration set up but if possible, it would be good to be paid a portion here (enough to live) and a portion outside in foreign currency. Keep in mind inflation here is around 25%- 30% so you should receive atleast annual increases in any ARS earnings to reflect that.
- Accommodation: I know you said they are organising this, does that mean they have a place already organised for you and you just rock up and live in it or do you have to find it and they will pay? Hopefully the former!

Other things, getting help with Tax, ensuring they set up your bank accounts, obra social (health insurance), if you are here for a while will they cover flights back home to visit family/friends etc.

Not rare, what with a substantial Anglo-Argentine community and many Argentine professionals who use the language, but unevenly distributed.

I think outside of Buenos Aires, but generally I have found in Capital Federal most professionals speak english and most of the younger generation speak it ok.

Beyond all the practical reasons for needing a decent amount of Spanish (social, business, for emergencies, etc.), I personally think that it is very important to make the effort and learn the local language of wherever you might be. Even if you come with a starting level of zero and work your way up from there, that's fine. I personally dislike the English speakers that I see fairly frequently addessing whomever, wherever in English and expecting the other person to accommodate them and speak their foreign language at the drop of a hat. I find it to be an unfair double standard.

Even if just one out of ten words comes out in Spanish, as long as the effort is made and the desire to respect the host culture is there, that's all that ultimately matters... But I personally would not just resign myself to speaking in English, especially in a smaller town like Campana.

"The limits of your language are the limits of your world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein

The problem with not speaking Spanish, is not so much to do with your personal life etc. Its more to do with attracting petty crime. The locals, if they get a hint you are new in town (basis no spanish), they love to con u. Thats main problem.

Campana is a small port town. You would need a car if u want to socialize in the Capital on weekends. Driving with Spanish knowledge will be safer.

With a VERY basic level of spanish, you'll be able to get by just fine. It's your social life that will suffer. Imagine a Spanish speaker going to an English speaking country and expecting everyone to start speaking in Spanish...ni en pedo.

A lot of of companies here offer English classes for their employees. I think you should make it part of your job package that you get at least 3 hours of Spanish classes during the week (during your work day) paid by the company. That way you won´t have the excuse that you are tired, etc. You should also request that they give you another class after school.
This is a reasonable request, and considering that Spanish teachers are not expensive (especially in Campana, you can probably find one for 60 pesos the hour or less) not very expensive for them.
If you can get them to throw in two weeks of immersion classes (4 hours a day) before you start, that would be even better.
Campana is far removed from the expat scene, it is quite a small town. You might want to see if you can rent an apartment in BsAs to spend weekends in the city. The other way is to live in Pilar or Tigre, which probably have a few (very few) expats running around, but a lot more social options.

Back