Is Speaking Spanish A Necessity?

I dont think he never said anything about not trying?

Plus, I think you have to be a little more respectful of different peoples situations. For a lot of people, its not so easy - for eg I met an expat the other day who has been here for 2 years, and he gets by but really struggles. Works all day in english (with mainly other expats), has a family, lives out in La Provincia. Tries to do a lot of reading etc but doesnt have much time to attend classes and thus doesnt practice enough talking and listening. Hes an engineer, an intelligent guy. I reckon for him he would need atleast another 2 years before he got to a decent level, although he really wants to learn.

My point is, yes there are people that perhaps dont put much effort in, but perhaps for others its not so easy, they dont have Argentine partners etc or a lot of time to really integrate, they didnt come here with Spanish etc. Everyones situation is different.

Having said that, its obvious that it greatly enriches ones experience by putting an effort in and trying to learn the language, albeit I think most expats already know that :p

I think you misunderstood my point. I don't mean that he's not trying to learn to speak Spanish. He is, or he wouldn't be inquiring on BAExpats. What I mean is that many people, not him, are just plain lazy and get comfortable living here and letting people speak to them in English. Not all people. I don't want to generalize. It's not easy to move to another country and learn another language. I had a hard time the first few years and had to drag a dictionary around everywhere I went, but it kind of peeves me that I made the effort as so many other expats have as well, to try to learn the language after living here for several years while others just post on the forum asking for English speaking doctors, chiropractors, etc.

I admit I dont mix too much in the expat community here, but I have never met an expat who doesnt want to learn the language / makes absolutely 0 effort.
I guess we just have differing opinions, IMHO there is nothing wrong with asking for english doctors / chiros / psychologists etc, if its to do with your health and your not confident with your Spanish, you wouldnt want to screw it up just for the sake of language, especially when there are plenty here it seems that do speak good english.

I am part of some FBs groups for Argentinians in Australia, and I always see them posting asking for spanish speaking services, whether it be car mechanics, builders, doctors etc. And Spanish there is a lot rarer than English :lol:

I guess if there people dont want to make the effort, thats up to them. I dont think their experience would be the same but its not going to make me angry, the world is free :p

Back