Is the city very quiet at the moment?

booms

Registered
Wondering what that's due to. Obviously it's cold and there's a worldwide recession on the horizon, nevermind the Argentina specific problems, but over the last week or two I've noticed a lot of restaurants and cafes seem very very quiet.

Was in a bar last night (Tuesday) at 8.30pm in Palermo Soho with two customers and four members of staff. How are they keeping the lights on? Same story in lots of places. Anything in particular going on?

Wondering what that's due to. Obviously it's cold and there's a worldwide recession on the horizon, nevermind the Argentina specific problems, but over the last week or two I've noticed a lot of restaurants and cafes seem very very quiet.

Was in a bar last night (Tuesday) at 8.30pm in Palermo Soho with two customers and four members of staff. How are they keeping the lights on? Same story in lots of places. Anything in particular going on?
8:30pm is like late morning to many of the local party crowd. Best try about midnight.

Argentina national soccer team plays Italy in the World Club finals in London England this afternoon. i.e. right now. That's a big deal.
They're at half time right now. Argentina leads by two goals. Head out to Obelisko if Argetina wins. That's were the local fans celebrate.
Goals by L. Martinez and DiMaria.

Last edited:
In Buenos Aires there is a terrible recession and only some cafes and bars are doing well . I was there recently and found in particular the Microcentro and San Telmo districts muy caidos . Lots of people have moved out of Buenos Aires and many have died as well . In 2021 was a year when more deaths were ever recorded in the city of Buenos Aires . It is certainly much quieter as there are much less people living there !

i think you're being dramatic, sorry.

in puerto madero, the green spaces are jam packed with people every weekend with nice weather. yeah, microcentro is dead and sure there was a lot of loss of businesses all over, but there is still plenty of the usual chaos. the restaurants i've visited in recent weeks have been doing just fine for themselves, recession or inflation be damned.

In Buenos Aires there is a terrible recession and only some cafes and bars are doing well . I was there recently and found in particular the Microcentro and San Telmo districts muy caidos . Lots of people have moved out of Buenos Aires and many have died as well . In 2021 was a year when more deaths were ever recorded in the city of Buenos Aires . It is certainly much quieter as there are much less people living there !
lol

i think you're being dramatic, sorry.

in puerto madero, the green spaces are jam packed with people every weekend with nice weather. yeah, microcentro is dead and sure there was a lot of loss of businesses all over, but there is still plenty of the usual chaos. the restaurants i've visited in recent weeks have been doing just fine for themselves, recession or inflation be damned.
I am very familiar with Buenos Aires having lived there for 17 years . You are talking about a few bubbles of Buenos Aires like Puerto Madero . Palermo Soho etc etc . Recoleta , Barrio Norte , Microcentro, Congreso , Monserrat. San Telmo and so much more are nothing like what they were . Microcentro in particular is completely changed and has no energy of vibrancy that it once had . I am a walker of cities and do not have a car and in 100s of hours of walks one can see the massive changes face to face !

I love Buenos Aires very much and believe it to be one of the most vibrant and energetic cities of the world . But I cannot deny it has changed irrevocably since the pandemic except for a few pockets that are even better than before Palermo Soho, Palermo Nuevo , Puerto Madero , Nunez . These are just a small part of the very expansive city that makes up the many barrios of Capital Federal . Look at the taxi issue today in Buenos Aires and you cannot tell me that there are many less older people . Where did they go ? Nowaday to catch a taxi at night is a challenge . In 2018 you went out your door and you could flag one down in a minute . I found myself on my last trip up to 45 min a few times to get a taxi !

Back