Is there market demand for fresh oyster mushrooms (hongos girgolas) in Buenos Aires?

To address the original question- yes, you can sell good mushrooms here.
you will not get them in every disco and carrefour- and you will not convince the majority of argentines to change their palletes.
But the volume you can grow, is certainly saleable.

At least 3 or 4 of the veggie stands in my neighborhood (which is not "hip") carry at least 3 or 4 kinds of mushrooms regularly.
They are run by decidedly non-hip Bolivians, and sell them to average Argentines. Very few expats in my barrio, I have never heard english in a fruiteria or chino.

I have a lot of friends who do this sort of thing in the states- and they do fine.
The average american doesnt eat goat cheese- but the woman who makes goat cheese 3 miles from me full time sells it for $25 a pound.
I fixed a tractor drive shaft yesterday for a farmer I know who grows high end, quality stuff.

The trick in BA would be- find 20 or so "hip and expensive" restaurants who would make regular weekly orders, and who know what they are and want em. Not that hard- take some legwork, and you would have to deliver, just like most of their other purveyors do.
Do the farmers markets. The Agronimo, once a month, the ones in Palermo, which are weekly but travel.
See if you cant get some of the newer health food stores (not traditional dieteticas) that carry produce- I have seen a half dozen new ones in the last 3 or 4 years, ranging from Caballito to Palermo, that can and would sell em.

You wont get em into a big wholesaler at the Central Market, so you wont sell to the small neighborhood fruit stands.

But nobody thought juice bars, or mate flavored gin, or bagels, or expensive choris, or craft beer, or a dozen other food products, would sell in Argentina either- and all those guys are making bank.

Dear @Ries :

For me, I speak for myself, if there is a needle in a haystack, means I am not going to look for needles. I will give it up and admit there are no needles.
I am not going to Donnet for mushrooms.
And I am not going anywhere for corned beef, shawerma, bacon, chow mein, pekin duck, debrezine, mousaka, souvlaki, tziki, tandoori, tempura, Tom Yum, pad thai, kimchi, bulgogi, fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, surf&turf with lobster and shrimps, mango and cheese (could you imagine), on and on
What can I tell you?
Forget it!

Obviously, people like you are not the market. But all the things you mention are making money for people in BsAs right now.
Business people generally have to find buyers.
You are missing some killer kim chee, corned beef, and cheese, though.
I wont eat sushi here, or most mexican food, because it has been changed for argentine tastes.

Dear @Ries:
Clearly misleading and a great disservice to foreigners who haven´t been here and don´t know.
Food familiar to foreigners is not common here, and hard if not impossible to find.
Please be honest, if you want to be helpful.

Last edited:
Dear @Ries:
Clearly misleading and a great disservice to foreigners who haven´t been here and don´t know.
Food familiar to foreigners is not common here, and hard if not impossible to find.
Please be honest, if you want to be helpful.
not sure what you are arguing about really. he didn't say it was easy to find. he said it can be found if you want it.

not sure what you are arguing about really. he didn't say it was easy to find. he said it can be found if you want it.
Yea not sure what deadOAs hostility is to the fact you can find some "exotic" food here. It can be difficult but with some searching you can be pleasantly surprised. Case in point I recently found a great Korean restaurant in Palermo. Spicy pork (one of my favorite dishes of all time), kimchi and more. Honestly food is one of the things here I am satisfied with. Although agreed the sushi here is disappointing (fine if you like Philadelphia rolls, I cry myself to sleep at night sometimes thinking about tuna sushi)

Great!
If you´re satisfied crying yourself to sleep at night thinking about food that is difficult to find and need searching, I´m happy for you.
No hostility whatsoever, just being honest to myself, and to others who don´t know Argentine food is not what foreigners are used to.

Last edited:
Great!
If you´re satisfied crying yourself to sleep at night thinking about food that is difficult to find and need searching, I´m happy for you.
No hostility whatsoever, just being honest to myself, and to others who don´t know Argentine food.
There's a thing called hyperbole. Useful for descriptive purposes. I actually have learned to appreciate philadelphia rolls more, but yes I do miss Tuna. OMG I cant have Tuna, what a horrible life /s.

No one ever uttered the words "horrible life". Life has never been more wonderful!
All we are saying is Argentine food is not what foreigners are familiar with and used to.

I'm not talking selling a lot or getting competitive, the idea would be low volume high value fresh gourmet mushrooms from the growroom straight to someone's kitchen counter, and if i can sell just enough to cover my bills and buy me some ebooks for reading on spare time, i would be happy as hell. but it would definitely suck if i can't arrange reliable deliveries mercado libre, since i don't think i can drive around delivering and taking care of the whole mushroom operation at the same time, i'm alone in this venture, nobody else and don't think i could trust anyone working inside my house.

I think it would be best for you to identify prospective clients then go and talk to them taking along a sample of your product for them to see. You can then make a decision.
I only know one Argentine that eats mushrooms/fungi and they use the dehydrated ones. I occasionally buy Portobello mushrooms from Vea or La Anonima which are pretty good when fresh. However most of the time they are past their best yet they still refuse to reduce the price....which is crazy if you ask me as noone will ever buy them at full price.

Back