Is there market demand for fresh oyster mushrooms (hongos girgolas) in Buenos Aires?

I think it would be best for you to identify prospective clients then go and talk to them taking along a sample of your product for them to see. You can then make a decision.
I only know one Argentine that eats mushrooms/fungi and they use the dehydrated ones. I occasionally buy Portobello mushrooms from Vea or La Anonima which are pretty good when fresh. However most of the time they are past their best yet they still refuse to reduce the price....which is crazy if you ask me as noone will ever buy them at full price.

I totally agree, mushrooms at the stores are stupidly expensive, my prices will be reasonable for regular buyers. Yesterday, i saw champiniones for $600 pesos a kilo at a local grocery store. my gourmet mushrooms should be at least half that price.

I live in a very agricultural area in the US- and I know a lot of growers, ranchers, fishermen, oyster farmers, cheesemakers, etc.
All have found that the "straight to the consumer" model sucks.
Because people are flaky- they sign up, then quit.
All the growers I know that have success sell either at farmers markets, where people come specifically looking for specialty foods,
direct to restaurants, or to specialty retailers.
Two $100 orders a week beats the hell out of 4 flaky $10 home cooks, who go on vacation, diets, move, lose jobs, or just lose interest.

If you are at all serious, you will be much much happier with two or three restaurants or stores.

And there are lots of em here. Not on every corner, but in greater BA, there are dozens of restaurants and small food stores that would consider these. There are something like 10,000 restaurants in BA. 95% of em are pizza, pasta, and milanesa. But 5% is still way more than you could possibly supply.

Amusingly appropos- yesterday a friend of mine sent me a picture of himself eating at Donnet. He is a Porteno, he lives in Paternal...

I live in a very agricultural area in the US- and I know a lot of growers, ranchers, fishermen, oyster farmers, cheesemakers, etc.
All the growers I know that have success sell either at farmers markets, where people come specifically looking for specialty foods,
Two $100 orders a week beats the hell out of 4 flaky $10 home cooks, who go on vacation, diets, move, lose jobs, or just lose interest.

If you are at all serious, you will be much much happier with two or three restaurants or stores.

And there are lots of em here. Not on every corner, but in greater BA, there are dozens of restaurants and small food stores that would consider these. There are something like 10,000 restaurants in BA. 95% of em are pizza, pasta, and milanesa. But 5% is still way more than you could possibly supply.

Amusingly appropos- yesterday a friend of mine sent me a picture of himself eating at Donnet. He is a Porteno, he lives in Paternal...

sounds good, yeah it makes what you are saying, i can have a stable relationship with chefs

I totally agree, mushrooms at the stores are stupidly expensive, my prices will be reasonable for regular buyers. Yesterday, i saw champiniones for $600 pesos a kilo at a local grocery store. my gourmet mushrooms should be at least half that price.
I would love that. If I could afford it, I would eat mushrooms every day.

To give you a idea of how easy it is to get mushrooms and the variety available to the public in Australia this is a link to a fresh food market . If you look at the prices in australian dollars they are cheaper than Argentina as well for many varieties .

To give you a idea of how easy it is to get mushrooms and the variety available to the public in Australia this is a link to a fresh food market . If you look at the prices in australian dollars they are cheaper than Argentina as well for many varieties .

$52.90 Australian dollars is 1,629.03 Argentine pesos, not exactly cheap for one kilo of Enoki mushrooms but i'm not sure if the Australian purchasing power is directly convertible to that of Argentina lol...

$52.90 Australian dollars is 1,629.03 Argentine pesos, not exactly cheap for one kilo of Enoki mushrooms but i'm not sure if the Australian purchasing power is directly convertible to that of Argentina lol...

Swiss brown mushrooms which are very popular are less than 15 US dollars a kilo in Australia . The minimum wage is at least 4 times higher than Argentina .

If straight to consumer means delivered veg boxes to domestic addresses then I dont agree that supplying restaurants is necessarily better. Not in my experience. Restaurants also try once, cancel suddenly or go out of business or are super demanding and difficult to deal with.

If straight to consumer means delivered veg boxes to domestic addresses then I dont agree that supplying restaurants is necessarily better. Not in my experience. Restaurants also try once, cancel suddenly or go out of business or are super demanding and difficult to deal with.

Completely agree about restaurants .

The only mushrooms that Argentinians will pay top dollar for are magic mushrooms that have become very popular of late in the professional classes as a cure all for depression and enhanced spiritual awareness. I do not know the legality of this in Argentina but in Peru and Bolivia they are legal .

Back