Is this Fishy?

el_expatriado said:
Let's see... smuggling drugs FROM the United States TO Argentina... doesn't sound like a good business to me. The whole world wants to smuggle to the USA and the landlady of this expat is going to want to get drugs INTO Argentina? Give me a break. I think this is a paranoid message.

Ok that is your right to think I am paranoid, no sweat. But you think people don't smuggle or are not accused of smuggling drugs from the USA to elsewhere? Read this, it's very scary and the subject is a relative of a former co-worker, so I know how devastating things can get if you are not careful:

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/aug/04/american_gets_drug_death_sentenc

Assuming it's about a $400 laptop +/-, tough if it's even more, imho for someone you don't even know, it's risky. You'd have to worry along the journey about it getting lost, stolen or damaged. They already paid at that point, so the responsibility then lies upon you. I think it'd be worth the risk if it's a friend, business partner or family member, but not for a stranger. One thing to help out with a cellphone or some other lesser-expensive, easier to store during travel, items.

In regards to it being shady or not, as others said, definitely not. Once you get here and browse some stores, you'll see electronics are just super expensive compared to the US. For one example, shopping for memory cards. 32GB in the US can now be had for about $18. Here, after checking several good locations, best price was $40US.

I still think it was fairly bold for the landlord to ask quite a favor of a stranger, but not surprised.

Obivously, it's your call, but I just don't think it's worth it. I would think you'd want as relaxed a journey as you can get on your way here. Why add extra stresses and worries to that making sure not to lose or damage another person's property.

Either way, enjoy your stay.

@iamsillywarm:

I echo the Davidglen77's warning. You might want to take precautions. For example, if you're picking it up at Best Buy, there's much less risk than say, picking it up from the corner computer shop that just happens to be owned by people from...Argentina.

Slim chance that drugs are being brought into Argentina, unless they are prescription drugs.

Another possibility is cash dollars or gold bullion, cleverly stashed in the body of the computer.

Also, keep in mind, airport security in the US has the right to ask you to turn your computer on. You might want to try that out at home.

Finally, the general vibe of this decision is something you are going to face every day in Argentina. Should I trust this person, do them a favor? They seem so nice. There seems no other way to proceed but just trusting them.

Most of the time this works here, but then one day, BAM! The s**t hits the fan, and your role in that metaphor is not that of the fan.

iamsillywarm said:
Feel it was VERY inappropriate for her to ask me in the first place. Thoughts?

So you get to the airport. Typical security question at the Airport check-in Desk: "Did anyone give you anything to take on the flight?"

Think carefully and answer truthfully. There are reasons for the question.

Perjuring yourself for someone you dont know? In the hope of getting some sort of unspecified favour paid back?

Risks are obvious and to this add that your future Landlady will have you down as a "mark" for further soft touches. Of course she will be very friendly and welcoming and grateful etc etc. She's your lovely new "Mum"

Here is a phrase for you to gen up on .. "Viveza criolla". Everyone new in Buenos Aires learns about this one way or another sooner or later.

Difficulty here is distinguishing this from genuine warm open hospitality because there is a lot of that here too. :)

So it's hard to get electronics at the moment. So what.

Buenos Aires has been the largest port in the spanish world for a hundred years or so. Same "native cunning" in London (another traditional large port where I come from) and the few times I've been in New York (another large port) then observed same phenomena. Something about generations of transient anonymous populations not having to worry about the consequences as will soon get lost in the crowd and reputations are difficult to check.

Ask any Porteño once you get here! They may give you an answer or maybe flash you a quick sudden glance of recognition! Personally I find that the most entertaining.

Do yourself a favour - your first instinct was correct.

When she asked she didn't know I was from Tucson. I told her to make the purchase at a store near my house which she did within two hours. I picked it up the next morning. If it has drugs in it she must have REALLY good connections to locate a random Best Buy (BTW Best Buy is a huge chain store not a rinky dink shady bussiness)in Tucson that has a drug connection for her. I've turned it on and added files to look like it is used. I'll NEVER do this again and she is shit out of luck even asking me to loan her a cup of sugar for my entire stay and beyond. Though it is fun to speculate and blow up a situation with plausible but highly unlikly unwitting drug mule scenarios (99.9% of drug mules know exactly what they are carrying), in this case I feel I just have a woman desperately in need of a laptop. Unfortunately for her, because of this I will be giving her the side eye my entire stay. Also I'm not an exciteable person so I don't feel stressed at all about transporting it. If it breaks or is lost? Oh well! She doesn't have the only rental in the city. As for the security question about carrying things for others? People brings gifts to folks abroad all the time. The spirit of the question is whether the item was directly given to you by the person or someone known to the person. I don't think they are interested in minor items purchased with someone elses money at a randome national chain store. I believe the risk is MINOR in this case but I hope this thread will be of help to someone with a similar situation. If I could go back I wouldn't do it but as it is I'm OK with taking it. Thanks for all the input

It's not fishy at all. Every time I go to the US, my friends always ask me to bring them back stuff. Lately it's been tablets, which are small, cheap and very easy to travel with.

What exactly is the deal ? Is she going to discount the cost of the laptop from your rent or is this completely separate from the apartment rental?

steveinbsas said:
I think it's way too much to ask. You could also bring one to sell here but if customs looks at it and sees it's new they could charge 50% duty.

Is she going to pay this charge if it happens?

If you haven't already sent her a deposit for the apartment I could suggest you stop all contact with her and find another place.

On the other hand, it is one big point in her favor that she trusts you (a foreigner she has never met) to bring her a computer she has already paid for.

Life is full of surprises.

On the 3rd hand, if customs charged this 50% duty and the landlady didn't want to pay it, the poster would get a brand new laptop for 50% of it's value to keep or to sell for a quick 200% - 300% profit.

She said she wants to do something in exchange but I'm ok with letting it be. I'm not strapped for funds at the moment and I'm sure she could use the funds more than me. Also, I don't want to accept anything from her and keep the personal door open. I'm going to put her back in Landlady mode where she belongs.

YEAH!!!! If I were to be fined I wouldn't give her the laptop until she paid it. Easy!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe Expat Life 1
C Newcomers Forum 45
Back