Is this Fishy?

Davidglen77 said:
Hey Phil, thanks for your perspective. However here's my response:

David You are welcome.

I pretty much said what you mean regarding the "Roman's" statement, you have to be like them (or you won't be able to survive) without major problems.

My point is you have to identify the differences and not expect them to think, act like you think they should

I don't think "a large number of norteamericanos or homicidal maniacs" or are gun crazy, if you take in to account population and number of homicides in relation to that number - north america is just about on par with everyone else in the industrialized world - it's funny how other countries when comparing gun violence look at the sheer "number" but leave out the part of population - that skews the numbers against the USA.

Umm my point was about stereotypes - as explained in the paragraph below in my original message. Discussion about murder rates is another point which is being covered in another thread btw. That you get defensive about this "chestnut" being mentioned only serves to unscore the point I make about unhelpful stereotypes I would suggest

I DO think it's logic, human beings in the best of cases should LEARN from previous experiences, or they are damned to repeat the same mistakes. I generally distrust Argentines, rarely believe anything they say to me and if I do have to do any type of business deal with them, I know upfront that it will never be the way it was stated, that goes for everything from punctuality, to contracts, to inventory, payment terms, etc. Don't blame me for this - blame them, but again that is another impossibility - accepting responsibility!

Yes by all means I accept it is logical to learn from personal experiences and to compare and contrast this with other's experiences as is happening here. It is not logical to brand all Argentines as untrustworthy etc. Plenty of people here recount positive experiences which reinforce this point so I wont waste anyone's time with my share of positive anecdotes which isnt really my line of argument anyway.

In a business context it doesn't, to me, seem at all logical to try to do any business here based on your experiences as recounted but I havnt your perspective or life experiences obviously. And there must be something positive about you doing this surely? Anyhow my point is you have adapted and put up with it because you have learnt the rules. :)

I guess you could say the rule is dont trust anyone in business. That's not restricted to Buenos Aires chum ;)

Best of luck with your business anyway and I hope you get more rewarding stuff coming your way in these trying times.

As for time-keeping that's typical southern european versus northern european/north american guidebook stuff and you can factor all that in without having to get too steamed up or dismissive of your fellow human beings. Two watches set at different times? :p

Umm tried to load this and it says message cant be accepted because short by 10 characters so hopefully it will now:confused:

iamsillywarm said:
Hello I will be traveling to BsAs for the first time for a two month stay in early July. My question is... I am renting a studio apartment in Ricolletta and I just got an email from my landlord asking if I will bring her a laptop that she will purchase online and deliver to a computer store near me which she wants me to bring down to her when I come in July. She is not asking me to pay for it. Is this legal and could I get in trouble in any way for doing it? Feel it was VERY inappropriate for her to ask me in the first place. Thoughts?

It is VERY inappropriate! I dont care how expensive electronics are, u just dont ask some1 u've never met to bring you a laptop! I wouldnt do it.... You never know what she has up sleeves. My opinion of course! GOOD LUCK

You will love BA!! just be careful, people here like to take advantage of us foreigners but most Argentine's are great people ;)

I fail to see the need to discuss Argentinian values or moral issues. If, and only if, the Landlady sends money for the full purchase price and promises (in writing) to pay for any taxes or other reasonable expenses incurred (upon proof they were incurred), then it should simply be a matter of doing a favor for someone with whom the OP will have an important relationship. If I were going to be renting from the LL, I might want to sweeten the relationship by doing this favor as long it cost me nothing and didn't otherwise create a burden for me.
p.s. Last time I went through customs at EZE, I was waived through and no one asked or looked at my baggage.

[QUOTE You will love BA!! just be careful, people here like to take advantage of us foreigners but most Argentine's are great people ;)[/QUOTE]

Ditto!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe Expat Life 1
C Newcomers Forum 45
Back