Is this normal practice for a lawyer?

CarverFan

Registered
I contacted a firm of abogados to ask them to check some papers before I sign them. I had used them before and they seemed professional.The abogado dealing with my case is now trying to do everything over the phone or from her personal email address instead of, as when she previously acted for me, her office email. She specifically asked me to contact her at her private email. The private email doesn't even have her proper surname on it, nor did she even write her name at the bottom when she signed off. Does this sound like normal practice here? In UK it is most definitely not!!

It sounds like she is trying to skim off some company business for herself. If you weren't given a recommendation for that particular lawyer, I'd either get someone else from her firm to represent you or go elsewhere.
I've found that there are some really dodgy lawyers here and there is no way of telling. We had a dispute with a building site next door earlier this year and our lawyer didn't even bother showing up for the hearing and never even sent us his bill! I'd be very careful who you hire...

she is indeed probably trying to take you ¨on as a private client¨ of hers as opposed to the firm.

Many lawyers working for firms here earn peanuts, and this practice is not very unusual once a rapport has been established between a lawyer and a client.

If you are happy with her and her work, why not keep her on and avoid yourself the KILOMBO?

dani28, I hired the lawyer to check the paperwork as I was worried about being cheated (I had in fact already been cheated once although it could have been a greedy mistake). Now I am starting to wonder if the lawyer's palm was greased and they've joined the other side! May sound paranoid, but I've heard a lot of stories here...have some stories of my own too.

i would go through with her. sounds very shady. she could have asked you if you wanted to hire her personal services.

It is not unusual. To hire a lawyer is not like buying at Mc Donalds. He or She should be somebody you trust. She wasn t clear with you. She is showing she is not somebody you can trust. That s my opinion as a lawyer. Regards

I don't think she is someone to be trusted either.
If it is a small/medium law firm she is probably not making that much money, but still it is not an excuse.....

I would either talk to her supervisor or change lawyers.... am sure a lot of expats on this board can recommned their own.

As a lawyer and partner of a firm in argentina, i suspect she's trying to take your business without knowledge of the firm. if you suspect or feel she's not representing your interests correctly, talk to her and get a second opinon. Feel free to PM me. Good luck!

CarverFan said:
dani28, I hired the lawyer to check the paperwork as I was worried about being cheated (I had in fact already been cheated once although it could have been a greedy mistake). Now I am starting to wonder if the lawyer's palm was greased and they've joined the other side! May sound paranoid, but I've heard a lot of stories here...have some stories of my own too.

Welcome to Buenos Aires. The difference between buying a meal at McDonalds and an Argentine lawyer is that McDonalds has a high standard of ethics.
Maybe this lawyer no longer works for the law firm.
A few years ago, I was having problems with my apt administrator and spoke to a lawyer. On the day of the appointment for the lawyer, the administrator and myself to meet, I kept reminding myself to make sure to introduce these 2 guys. Not necessary. The lawyer met with the administrator behind my back. I paid the lawyer NADA.

Back