IT course - what to study

Churchill

Registered
Thinking of a change of career and have been looking at getting into IT (kerching). I have heard that learning Java would give me good employment opportunities. Anyone recommend any places to study? All I can find on the web is IAC - but I have heard that they are not too good.

cruise this site and see if anything sparks an interest. If you buy anything, stick to very basic intro material. They offer their books in digital format...

http://oreilly.com/

Are you looking at java for website development or apps ?
If its for website development, php and java together are good to learn, and very popular.
You can also find alot of info online, courses, e-books etc.

I am not sure what I'm looking for really. I guess apps would be a good avenue to go down. I no there are no guarentees but I would like to study something that won't end up obsolete in 5 years time. Would studying Java give me a good base to go on from?

If its software, C++ is what i would be looking at.. Or if no computer development experience look at delphi or visualbasic to start with as it is alot easier than C++ to learn and to understand programming concepts.

There is so many different programming languages around, but i guess C++, NET, Java, Delphi and visual basic are probably the most popular.

Everything is moving to the web, even MS has a web based office version now. So maybe look at web development too.

With most langauges, once you understand how to write code, it isnt to hard to move to a different programming language.

Most of my work revolves around networking, server admin and website stuff.. I hate programming, but often have had to modify stuff so have picked up php/html/java just because of that need.

My girlfriend is selling a couple of unused books she brought from London if they're of interest to you:

Adobe Flash CS4 Professional: Classroom in a Book
Brand new and unused, comes with CD
RRP $54.99/£35.99
Asking Price 150 pesos

O'Reilly Javascript The Definitive Guide
Brand new and unused
RRP $49.99/£38.50
Asking Price 150 pesos

I do web design but most of the online resources have sites that teach development as well.

For flash I've used learnflash.com and I remember that they also have a bunch of other sites that teach Java etc, so have a look and click through and see what's what. The guy that runs the learnflash.com has a blog and posts a lot of videos free, so I've never actually had to purchase a package, i've learned everything i needed for free. So if there are blogs associated with the other two sites you may be in luck.

Lynda.com is more design oriented, I haven't been on there in awhile but you could check it out, maybe they have some development stuff or links to sites that will have what you need. You can pay a monthly fee and get access to everything. but they've got a fair bit of free stuff too.

The other thing to browse is iTunes podcasts, there's a lot of techcasts on there and a lot of tutorials.

Have you considered becoming CISCO certified? It's for becoming network manager, not sure that that's something that would interest you.

If you're interested in online diplomas or degrees, I'd recommend BCIT's distance education programmes: http://www.bcit.ca/path/computing/programs/distance.shtml. Though not sure how much these courses cost.

There's also the Open University of Australia, and I know there's also a school based out of Atlanta, Georgia that offers a lot of online learning. If you're interested I can talk to a friend and ask him what it's called again.

Note that just because these degrees are online doesn't mean they're cheap. Often it's easier just to self-teach -- get one of the teaching bundles for the basics and then learn via the web like pretty much everyone else has. The only problem is that you won't have an official certificate.

ajax is becoming very popular too, is a what google has used for gmail and google search.

IF you are serious about programming you need a good foundation. Java is here to stay for a while, but it won't be enough to know only Java. C++ is outdated but still in use in specialized areas. A good way to start to learn Java is to prepare for a certification (now from Oracle, but used to be Sun). But this would be only the foundation, after that there are many other technologies that build on Java, e.g., Servlets, JSP, EJB, Spring, GWT, Android and many more. It would also be important to understand the principles of Object Oriented Programming. Another Language that is becoming more important is Ruby and Grails that is build on top of that. Python as well but it is older.

Back