It is going to be a great week. Got back in with my stuff on a bribe

jayjane

Registered
Just saying. I have good feelings about this week. This was my first time passing customs as a resident and I passed through customs with a small bribe. I was expecting a lot worse. I think it is my lucky day.

Oh please! Many of my things were gifts that I left at home and wanted to bring now that I have moved here. Unfortunately because of the nuances of the paperwork for residency I needed to apply before having a chance to bring all my stuff. I shouldn´t be charged 50% tax on gifts (over the alotted amount or, however that works). They are things I wouldn´t have the money to buy myself in the first place.

jayjane said:
Just saying. I have good feelings about this week. This was my first time passing customs as a resident and I passed through customs with a small bribe. I was expecting a lot worse. I think it is my lucky day.

I was hesitant to post his until I read the second quote:

How can you feel good or lucky about being a new resident of a country where corruption is an accepted practice on a daily (if not hourly basis) and you just participated in it?

jayjane said:
Oh please! Many of my things were gifts. I shouldn´t be charged 50% tax on gifts (over the alotted amount or, however that works). They are things I wouldn´t have the money to buy myself in the first place.

Just because something is a gift doesn't make it exempt from customs duties.

You probably wouldn't dream of shoplifting (at least I hope not), but if you did and you were caught do you think that saying the item you stole was going to be a gift and you simply didn't have the money to buy it in the first place?

You are all too serious on here. Yes, we´d all like things here to be less corrupt and more safe. The reality is that they aren´t that way.

I was just expressing my relief at the fact that today the process was much easier than I expected.

I know customs includes gifts. However, when moving to a new country you are allowed to bring in your things. I originally wanted to apply for residency while still in the U.S. and bring in my stuff which the embassy of Argentina had told me I would be able to do. I wasn´t able to do this because of my trouble getting the FBI document needed for residency. I had to submit several times and it ended up coming through while I was here. I wasn´t allowed to leave at that point because it would render the document invalid and I would need to start again. It really was just a financial decision at the point. I didn´t have the extra cash to risk having to redo all my residency docs so, I had to apply and hope that they would be gentle when bringing my things back. They were!

What type of residency do you have? I'm wondering if, with 1-year temporary residency, I can bring in an expensive desktop computer and explain that I am only here for 1 year and will be bringing it with me when I depart.

I have previously had no trouble bringing in a desktop with a tourist visa; they didn't ask my type of visa, they merely asked if I was leaving the computer here, I told them I was taking it back out with me, and they waived me through -- all in just 10s.

jayjane said:
You are all too serious on here. Yes, we´d all like things here to be less corrupt and more safe. The reality is that they aren´t that way.

I was just expressing my relief at the fact that today the process was much easier than I expected.

I know customs includes gifts. However, when moving to a new country you are allowed to bring in your things. I originally wanted to apply for residency while still in the U.S. and bring in my stuff which the embassy of Argentina had told me I would be able to do. I wasn´t able to do this because of my trouble getting the FBI document needed for residency. I had to submit several times and it ended up coming through while I was here. I wasn´t allowed to leave at that point because it would render the document invalid and I would need to start again. It really was just a financial decision at the point. I didn´t have the extra cash to risk having to redo all my residency docs so, I had to apply and hope that they would be gentle when bringing my things back. They were!

Tomato, tomatoe. A bribe is a bribe. If you'd like things to be "less corrupt" start with what you can actually do. And that is pay your taxes and not bribe.

Californian_Oh said:
What type of residency do you have? I'm wondering if, with 1-year temporary residency, I can bring in an expensive desktop computer and explain that I am only here for 1 year and will be bringing it with me when I depart.

I have permanent residency now through marriage. Before getting residency I could bring in anything and if you apply for residency while outside of Argentina my understanding from the embassy is that you have a one-time trip or something to bring in your things at the start of your residency before being subject to the taxes at the airport.

jayjane said:
Californian_Oh said:

I have permanent residency now through marriage. Before getting residency I could bring in anything and if you apply for residency while outside of Argentina my understanding from the embassy is that you have a one-time trip or something to bring in your things at the start of your residency before being subject to the taxes at the airport.

Is this true? I know a couple expats who have had containers shipped to them with what would have surely incured thousands and thousands of dollars in taxes. Is there a free pass?

According the the embassy we were working with yes. They did tell us it is a one-time thing and I think you have to arrange all the paperwork before you leave. I don´t know if it something they always do or not and if it has changed, I wouldn´t know. We didn´t end up going that route because my FBI letter took too long.

Back