It's an Expat Thing: Unsolved Mysteries

mini said:
From what I recall but can't confirm it seems this is because it's not their responsibility to repair it properly. The sidewalks belong to the building i.e.. the land is owned privately by each property & not by the government. So each house is responsible for having their sidewalk in good repair (or not).
Clearly some people don't have the money & other don't care. This is also why they are all different colors, stones, designs, etc.

Instead of seizing pension funds, Cristina should seize the sidewalks. ;)

I think you are right about responsibilities, but surely it cannot be right that after we buy nice new tiles the utility companies can then smash them up with impunity and we then have no redress.

My momma broke her leg in Munro (Buenos Aires Province) and she sued the municipalidad...I dont know how that went though, I think she's still waiting for an answer

brocolliandtea said:
But I know, I know, we are in Argentina. Leave good ideas behind.

Why on earth are you here? Did you lose a bet?

Must be tiring being so overwhelmingly negative all the time...

gusgutier said:
Gobierno de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires. You also can find (non in cabs) CABA for ciudad autonoma de buenos aires

So, are the cabs owned by the government of Buenos Aires or privately owned?

tangobob said:
I think you are right about responsibilities, but surely it cannot be right that after we buy nice new tiles the utility companies can then smash them up with impunity and we then have no redress.

Of course you are right. But at the end of the day, it's the responsibility of the owners of the building. Has the building fixed the sidewalk?

victoria said:

They are privately owned. Is that over the license #? If so, then it is a license issued by the city. I've never noticed but I imagine that's what it would be.

mini said:
Of course you are right. But at the end of the day, it's the responsibility of the owners of the building. Has the building fixed the sidewalk?

Er. NO. That would be me as well, and as not all the appartments were sold before the tiles were smashed there would be an unfair distribution of the costs.
Our consorcio cannot agree the colour of the foyer never mind additional costs.

tangobob said:
I think I can answer this one, When my building was completed, within months the telephone people came and smashed up the pavements to put new cables in and never returned to repair them properly
Read all about it here
http://tangogales.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/something-new-every-day/

My appologies, This happened in 2008 before my present blog started, so the blog address is wrong. The actual blog entry is, I am afraid, lost in AOL's Archives.:(

The strange thing is that I actually have no problem walking here! Not now at least. But it might be because I am from Los Angeles, where no one walks, and so here I learned the "signals" but trial and error. The way I go about it is if it is an older lady, a very old man, or a child, I move. If it is any other male character, I let them move, because usually they do, and if it is a young female like myself, well, I think I usually move or maybe it goes that we both move a little. Maybe it is a deference thing, "to whom do I defer in this situation?" Whereas in NY or London we have a culture where we believe in equality even as far as walking goes.

victoria said:
A number follows GCba and it´s the license given by city government. They are private

Back