It's Too Expensive Here!

Are you a US citizen? I wish someone would answer my question about resident visas. How can a US citizen get one?

Just like finding cheap places to live in Spain (a question you asked a couple days ago), a google search will produce significant results.

I asked google "Do I need visa to live in Spain?" and this is the first result in English (of over fourteen million):

http://www.twobadtou...-visa-in-spain/

The income requirement is somewhat vague but a figure of approximately 2500 euros per month is mentioned.

Proof of acceptable health insurance is also required.

I wonder if marrying an Argentine with a Spanish passport would be an easier (but not necessarily softer) way.

Good luck!
emo32.gif

For some property prices here are the listings of one local inmobiliaria. http://www.inmohispania.com/index.php I put in a filter of 60k to 160k euros and there are pages of them for the old city part of Cadiz, which is where I live. Its a vibrant city with friendly people and a great atmosphere. The beaches are tremendous and communications are good. I'm going to be very happy spending 6 months a year here, but not sure if I'd want to live here without spending time away, but that could apply to most places with me.

Great link, thanks!

Just like finding cheap places to live in Spain (a question you asked a couple days ago), a google search will produce significant results.

I asked google "Do I need visa to live in Spain?" and this is the first result in English (of over fourteen million):

http://www.twobadtou...-visa-in-spain/

The income requirement is somewhat vague but a figure of approximately 2500 euros per month is mentioned.

Proof of acceptable health insurance is also required.

I wonder if marrying an Argentine with a Spanish passport would be an easier (but not necessarily softer) way.

Good luck!
emo32.gif

Thank you Steve but I would like to hear from someone who has actually gone through the process. Of course I can google however this forum is for exchanging information and opinions. I did look at the link you posted and see that the health insurance policy costs $1,050 US for a standard policy. As for income requirements, it is not clear if this means salary, pensions etc or if it might also include such items as rental income, investments etc. This is a reason why it would be helpful to hear from someone who has gone through the process who can answer questions.

Is it that bad to live in the US? There is so much variety that I can't see why you go through the hassle to live in Spain, and then just for 6 months per year...

Thank you Steve but I would like to hear from someone who has actually gone through the process. Of course I can google however this forum is for exchanging information and opinions. I did look at the link you posted and see that the health insurance policy costs $1,050 US for a standard policy. As for income requirements, it is not clear if this means salary, pensions etc or if it might also include such items as rental income, investments etc. This is a reason why it would be helpful to hear from someone who has gone through the process who can answer questions.

OK, then I suggest you use google to find expat forums with comments on this topic by individuals who have gone through the process of obtaining a visa to live in Spain and are now living there.

It took less than a minute to find this: https://www.expatfoc...ight=residency/

Is it that bad to live in the US? There is so much variety that I can't see why you go through the hassle to live in Spain, and then just for 6 months per year...

I am often curious why the Americans don't take more advantage of Puerto Rico. It is basically broke so you should be able to live like a king, you don't need to go through the hassle of visas at all since it is US, you don't pay federal taxes (for the time being, because of their debt there is talk they may reform the taxes), you have good connections to the USA and the rest of the Caribbean. And with the language and culture it has the foreign feel while still getting some of the benefits of being American. I only know it on paper and through a friend that writes for some soap operas there and with this huge Puerto Rican children's tv show (that now streams on Netflix). It seems like it would absolutely suck to be poor there - and there is a lot of poverty, but there is an awful lot more here in Argentina it seems. However if most of the pensioner's there are getting only 500 bucks a month, it seems like the Americans who come down here would be able to live like kings there.

I would love to hear from someone who knows Puerto Rico why it isn't more of a destination for Americans!

I know this is an old theme but I'm interested if there are others who find the cost of living difficult to manage. With the dollar stagnant against the peso, I find my costs all the more out of control. The BA Herald had an article the other day predicting 45% inflation this year.

It's difficult to predict anything here from month-to-month, let alone from one year to the next!

I am often curious why the Americans don't take more advantage of Puerto Rico. It is basically broke so you should be able to live like a king, you don't need to go through the hassle of visas at all since it is US, you don't pay federal taxes (for the time being, because of their debt there is talk they may reform the taxes), you have good connections to the USA and the rest of the Caribbean. And with the language and culture it has the foreign feel while still getting some of the benefits of being American. I only know it on paper and through a friend that writes for some soap operas there and with this huge Puerto Rican children's tv show (that now streams on Netflix). It seems like it would absolutely suck to be poor there - and there is a lot of poverty, but there is an awful lot more here in Argentina it seems. However if most of the pensioner's there are getting only 500 bucks a month, it seems like the Americans who come down here would be able to live like kings there.

I would love to hear from someone who knows Puerto Rico why it isn't more of a destination for Americans!

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the US. They have too many inherent economic problems which now greatly affect, among other areas, the private and public health care system. Local PRIVATE doctors and dentists have been leaving the island for "greener" pastures. Many are migrating to rural areas of the US whose state gov'ts cannot adequately meet urgent care needs of their low income population.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/business/dealbook/puerto-rico-debt-crisis-explained.html?_r=0

Puerto Rico, 2017......under the new US administration

http://www.pr51st.com/donald-trump-statement-on-puerto-rico/
.......statement was at one time on the Trump campaign website, but it is no longer available online. See a photo of the physical statement given to the press.

https://ballotpedia.org/Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2016/Puerto_Rico

Back