It's Too Expensive Here!

wineguy999, is that photo taken in Marin ? South Bay does not have that much of green.

Also, SFO is code name for San Francisco airport. San Francisco (SF) Bay Area is not referred as SFO, just like BsAs or BA is not called EZE. Please do not be confused.

wineguy999, is that photo taken in Marin ? South Bay does not have that much of green.

Also, SFO is code name for San Francisco airport. San Francisco (SF) Bay Area is not referred as SFO, just like BsAs or BA is not called EZE. Please do not be confused.

Tiburon. And I'm not confused, but others may be. ;)

I'm more looking at the cost of life than the peso to dollar.
This is hard to calculate but the cost of life since 2010 was roughly 1000$ a month. (No family, no car, dpto in Palermo and going out every now and again)
And it feels like that price was maintained fairly well despite what was happening.
You could live relatively well but couldn't save much money.

Now, I'm trying to calculate how much it costs per month (in dollars) and I feel we've at least doubled. (I could be wrong). It's now looking more like 2000$ is the price which is a very high figure considering how much the average person earns.

Was it the same during menem s time?

No, it wasn't. I was here. Prices were not equal to NYC at that time as someone posted. For example, apartment prices were very low compared to US prices. In dollar terms they must be almost 3x higher now.

13319755_10154263454957059_3622978677016126501_n.jpg

Chris:
You're right about apartment prices during Menem For brevity's sake I didn't elaborate on which prices were the same and the others .
Better.restaurant and coffee bar prices were the same as NYC as well as some grocery prices.I remember this from trips home and comments from family visiting from the U.S.
Public transportation,some rental contracts and apartment prices according to barrio were indeed,still lower than the U:S.
That is why I was able to get a mortgage and buy my apartment .But the biggest payoff was when after the default in 2002 my mortgage was "pesofied" and I was able to pay it off with dollars I brought from the U.S. For the longest time this is how those-" detras del volante"--behind the steering wheel used to manipulate things in Argentina.
Hoy por mi,mañana por ti-------Today for me,tomorrow for you . .Este pais es unico, te diste cuenta ya?

No, it wasn't. I was here. Prices were not equal to NYC at that time as someone posted. For example, apartment prices were very low compared to US prices. In dollar terms they must be almost 3x higher now.

are you saying that prices in buenos aires are 3 x higher now than they were?
or are you saying that prices in buenos aires NOW are 3x higher than the USA?

Because the USA that I live in is about 3x more expensive than the Buenos Aires I live in, for real estate, and about double for rents.
My kid is looking for a new apartment in Seattle right now, 2 bedrooms are $1500 to $2000 a month.
My other kid just got a tiny 200sq foot apartment in Seattle- $1000.

Certainly, there are places in the USA that are cheaper than BA- but there are lots of places in Argentina that are cheaper, too.
The USA, though, in terms of day to day living, is still about double what I pay to live in Buenos Aires.
I live part time in Argentina, 3 months every year- so I have a pretty good handle on costs in both places.

And I know that my monthly outgo in the US is a LOT more than my monthly outgo in Argentina, and, in the US, I eat out much less, go to see virtually no cultural events, and dont buy many of the things I buy in Argentina.

Utilities, insurance, healthcare, transportation, and many everyday purchases for me are much much higher in the USA.

Of course, this doesnt affect people who earn in pesos- they just see the inflation.

But the fact is- Macri is opening Argentina more to the global economy, changing the K's artificial isolation. That isolation cost the government a great deal, in subsidies and lost tax revenue.
And, once the global economy is more integrated, real estate prices, utility prices, and many commodity prices will go up in Argentina, because they will be priced globally, not in protected isolationist amounts.
You cant have it both ways- you want economic interchange with the world, you will see world prices for oil, and apartments, and iphones.
In a few cases, that will mean lower prices, although mostly for mass produced, low quality, chinese made consumer goods.
But in many cases, you will see Argentine prices rise.
The government is no longer paying billions to keep prices down.
Yay.
The prices will go way up.
Boo.

Reminds me of an old Country Joe and the Fish song.

are you saying that prices in buenos aires are 3 x higher now than they were?
or are you saying that prices in buenos aires NOW are 3x higher than the USA?

Because the USA that I live in is about 3x more expensive than the Buenos Aires I live in, for real estate, and about double for rents.
My kid is looking for a new apartment in Seattle right now, 2 bedrooms are $1500 to $2000 a month.
My other kid just got a tiny 200sq foot apartment in Seattle- $1000.

Certainly, there are places in the USA that are cheaper than BA- but there are lots of places in Argentina that are cheaper, too.
The USA, though, in terms of day to day living, is still about double what I pay to live in Buenos Aires.
I live part time in Argentina, 3 months every year- so I have a pretty good handle on costs in both places.

And I know that my monthly outgo in the US is a LOT more than my monthly outgo in Argentina, and, in the US, I eat out much less, go to see virtually no cultural events, and dont buy many of the things I buy in Argentina.

Utilities, insurance, healthcare, transportation, and many everyday purchases for me are much much higher in the USA.

Of course, this doesnt affect people who earn in pesos- they just see the inflation.

But the fact is- Macri is opening Argentina more to the global economy, changing the K's artificial isolation. That isolation cost the government a great deal, in subsidies and lost tax revenue.
And, once the global economy is more integrated, real estate prices, utility prices, and many commodity prices will go up in Argentina, because they will be priced globally, not in protected isolationist amounts.
You cant have it both ways- you want economic interchange with the world, you will see world prices for oil, and apartments, and iphones.
In a few cases, that will mean lower prices, although mostly for mass produced, low quality, chinese made consumer goods.
But in many cases, you will see Argentine prices rise.
The government is no longer paying billions to keep prices down.
Yay.
The prices will go way up.
Boo.

Reminds me of an old Country Joe and the Fish song.

I was saying that real estate prices are around 3 x more in BA than they were during the Menem era. I know that property that I bought during Menem has gone up almost 3 x in value.

Comparing COL with the US is a bit tricky as it depends on where you live. New York or San Francisco are extremely expensive cities whereas other major metro areas are substantially cheaper. I find now that my COL here is close to what it is in the US. That is my experience. Yours may be different especially if you live in an expensive US city.

Other places in Argentina are cheaper but unlike the US almost all the jobs are in BA along with a massive % of the population. It isn't realistic for most people to pack up and go elsewhere as it is in the US.

Property prices in the US depend on where you are.

my mum sold her house in canada for 3x less during menem's time than what it's worth now.
to me the real estate madness that we're seeing now is a global thing

Back