I've been robbed in Buenos Aires

• Yes, I've been robbed in BA

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Not Applicable

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Joe, you're missing what I always tell my friends! Not yet!

In Canada at gunpoint once. It wasn't fun, don't recommend it

I was jumped 2x in South Africa, once in Johannesburg, once in Durban; attacked at gun point in Chicago; pickpocketed 1x in Madrid metro, 1x on 152 in BA and lost a wallet in Prague. for 55 years, that's not too bad! Does a hijacking count ? if so, then in Addis Ababa ending up in El Obeid, Sudan. DEFINTELY A STORY FOR THE FRIDAY EVENING PUB NIGHTS!

I already told the story when I got robbed with a gun on my head, in the evening in a villa (my mistake, overconfidence). After investigating, I found the guy's name (quique/kike?) and since I'm leaving Buenos Aires next year, this guy will have a little surprise (I'll hire a few guys to tattoo something on his forehead = either "chorro", either a male organ + "me gusta").

But here's another story:

I had a Jeep Wrangler (4 cylinders unfortunately) and I was driving back from Autopista del Oesta to Pilar (Panamericana Norte) around 2 am.
I was leaving Autopista del Oeste to access General Paz. On the bridge above General Paz (still on the highway), a black Golf GTI (old model but in perfect condition) with no lights started following me about 1 meter behind me, while we were driving around 60 kph.
I, of course, got on alert and the driver staid there, very close from my vehicle.
I activated my warning lights to tell the driver to back off... with no result after a few seconds.

In those situations, I prefer to striker first & strike as hard as I can in the right spot. So I push the brakes to try to destroy the Golf Gti's front (once the radiator is out, end of the story). Problem is the driver managed to push the brakes in time too (was close).

Then things went a bit complicated since we reached General Paz, the other car arrived on my side, and there was only one guy... with a "tumbera" pointed at me (a tumbera is a DIY shotgun... And you usually need both your hands to use one, good thing I knew that).
Thing is that while I can cry watching a romantic movie, I rarely get afraid and always keep calm in those situations (I become very rational).
I should have gotten afraid (that's what the guy thought), but instead I counter-attacked since my Jeep was equipped with two big steel tubes at the front & rear. So, when the guy reached my height, I would brake, drive behind him & try to hit his car on the rear/left (to make him spin = the Jeep is not very fast but has an excellent torque).
It went on like this for a few minutes, the guy was not expecting that but I had understood he cared about his car (perfectly clean too) more than about his life. He couldn't really use his tumbera too (I've always wondered if the lead balls/shot could have broken the Jeep windows, they are about 7 mm thick... With a shot from a distance of 4 meters).

Anyway, the situation had to stop so I took my phone, switched it on, and placed it on my ear (was an iPhone, so a light could be seen) without dialing any number. The guy once again came at my height, as I was on the phone, thought I was calling the cops... and ran away (with his tail between his legs).

I went home and slept well, he he.

Here's the pic of the Jeep that saved me, lol

Jumped on the playground in 6th grade by a couple of 8th graders. Lost my lunch money and my new baseball. Determined never again to be an easy target.

Car broken into 2x in Philly over 15 years.

Attempted street mugging in Philly by 6 guys at night. Pulled Smith & Wesson 9mm. Playing field leveled. They moved. I continued walking.

Attempted home break-in in Philly. Remington 12 gauge action sent thief running.

Carjacking in Nigeria. They had the guns. They got the car, my wallet, and phones.

Backpack stolen from under my feet in Retiro.

Attempted street mugging in Villa Urquiza late at night. Fought back. Scrapes and bruises.

Attempted pickpocket on D-Line resulted in broken wrist (for the other guy).

Another one:

I was in the train (FC Belgrano Norte = the red ones from Retiro), going back to Del Viso.
It was the "modern" train, not the "old" one, hence the "furgon" for the bicycles was the big one (where you can place your bike on a hook).

So my old blue bicycle was on the hook, and I was sitting in the main cabin while having a look at the bike at each stop (was crowded = around 6 pm).

At one stop, I see my bike moving and going towards the exit door. I stand up, enter the "furgon" and see a guy (like a cartonero) who was ready to pass the bike to another guy outside.

I ask "Pero, que haces?"

The guy looks at me and answers in a candid way "Yo saco la bici, porque?" (that was indeed what he was doing, lol).

Me: "Si, pero es mi bici!"

The guy answered something like "Ah ok!"

And I took the bike back.

My car was broken into a number of times in San Francisco, CA but the losses were minimal. Here my wallet was snatched in Palermo as I took it out of my bag - thank GOD they didn't take the bag because at the time I had my sleeping puppy in it! I've had 2 maids rob me (both of whom I really trusted) - one took 500 USD and the other took a necklace my boyfriend gave me that was his grandmother's - that was the worst...I don't have maids anymore and am generally more cautious about things.

Reactions: Joe
Crazy. I've never been robbed or mugged - thankfully. I don't walk the streets too much, though and when I do it's with my husband. Biggest fear I have is a home invasion - we live in a quinta and if anyone ever got through we don't really have any neighbors (we're surrounded by factories, warehouses, etc.)

and since I'm leaving Buenos Aires next year...

You're leaving next year??

You veterans that are leaving make me question my sanity.

Back