I've been robbed in Buenos Aires

• Yes, I've been robbed in BA

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Not Applicable

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
In BA: Iphone stolen the first year I was here. Last year, I had at least four subte cards go missing (pick pocketed on the colectivo). This year has been good so far.

In Montreal: Apartment broken into at least three times. One bike per year stolen (so fifteen bikes in total).

Reactions: Joe
Damn. There is alot of thievery going on in the world. This is eye opening.

What you read here is purely anecdotal. It has no statistical significance whatsoever. Moreover, there is no proof of anything, though I would hope that most participants are telling the truth to the best of their recollection.

Never been robbed here in 4 and a half years.
Only one attempt, on Subte A at 6 pm. I was moving apartments that day and had a suitcase and knew I looked like a target so I had one arm looped through the suitcase and the other hand on the zipper to my purse holding it shut. This man gets on with a winter coat draped on his arm, it was January. Suspicious. Then as the Subte was pulling to a stop he "fell" onto me with his jacket conveniently over my purse and I felt his hand grope around to get in my purse only to find my hand. I looked him in the eye like "seriously?" and he got flustered, "uh uh...perdon...me cai..." and ran off at the stop.

I voted no, no and no. But then I got to thinking. A few weeks ago, I went to barrio chino, to Casa China. They charged me for two jars of Dame Maní when I only bought one. I didn't realize until I looked at the receipt when I got home. Honest mistake or screwing me over to pocket the cash? I should have paid closer attention when I was checking out, but I didn't.

A few years ago, my parents came to visit. We went out to dinner at La Cabrera and then took a taxi back to San Telmo. I remember thinking I had never paid so much for a taxi at night, but I also took taxis so rarely that I wasn't sure exactly how much the ride should have cost, so I didn't say anything. We were speaking English and my parents were obviously tourists. Rigged meter or just ignorance on my part? I should have said something, but I didn't.

Also a few years ago, I wanted to buy a can of Speed before going to a boliche. So I went to a kiosco and the guy wanted 10 pesos, a shocking price at the time. I told him he was full of shit, that I'd never paid near that price anywhere, but he said 10 pesos or get out. So I caved and bought it since I had no other place to buy it so late. Normal practice for kiosco owners to double prices late at night, or highway robbery? I should have walked away, but I wanted it.

A few days ago, I went to pick up some laundry. The woman charged me 30 pesos instead of the usual 25 because the bag was "heavy" this time. No, she had not split it into two separate loads. It was one of those days when I simply didn't have the energy to fight it, so I paid. I should have asked her why she was charging me five pesos more than normal since it was still one load, or if they were raising their prices. But I didn't.

Oh, and then there was the bad wine I bought at the chino recently, which they refused to refund. I did try to fight that, but I lost, which reminded me why I just don't think it's worth it sometimes to pitch a fit. I simply do not go to that chino, which is awfully convenient being just a few doors down. I give my money to the one down the street.

If I've ever been a victim of anything that could be considered a crime or just plain old questionable-to-immoral behavior, it's been little stuff like this. They can smell it on you, the days when you let yourself be just a little less vigilant than you usually are. But sometimes one just does not have the energy to fight.

Back