Job Vacancy: Personal Administrative Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
fifs2 said:
And is that a crime?...........I am constantly surprised by expats postings saying they'd kill for a job here to help them live..but then recurl at the prospect of earning 3500 or so pesos for a low responsibility 9-5 job...

I never said it's a crime. I just said they are looking for cheap labor. It is what it is.

And $3000 a month for a full-time job isn't exactly the most livable wage. I work legally for a local company, 9-5, make significantly more and still struggle to deal with the ever-increasing inflation.

Fifs2, 3000 pesos a month is 1/3 above minum wage, so that's like being paid, what, $10 an hour in the US?

Sure, there are worse jobs, but I wouldn't defend their proposal AT ALL.

Prorrating a shitty-paying job? And then paying that same shitty salary under-the-table? 3000 pesos is an acceptable salary in negro, I suppose, if the owners are here and having a hard time making ends meet, but a UK-based owner?

I don't think so.

PS: no, outsourcing is not a crime, but neither is cheating on your spouse.

fifs2 said:
And is that a crime?Outsourcing to lower cost overseas locations and paying lower local rates for the same function that would be paid X times higher at home, think China, India, Bulgaria, Philipinnes etc etc is hardly new...the salary seems totally reasonable for a local based here but not exactly fantastic bearing in mind the part-time nature of the work and the fact the person (if honest) would have to cough up for montributista payments and money transfer costs which are no small change these days.
As a local employer (of expats and locals) I am constantly surprised by expats postings saying they'd kill for a job here to help them live..but then recurl at the prospect of earning 3500 or so pesos for a low responsibility 9-5 job...there was one such post recently and the OP didnt even acknowledge my offer to meet for a chat so clearly expats need to lose the currency converter calculator they have in their brains if they really want to work here.

PhilipDT said:
We're not going to fault them for trying. And they cant fault us for giving them shit

Bingo. .

JoeBlow said:
Fifs2, 3000 pesos a month is 1/3 above minum wage, so that's like being paid, what, $10 an hour in the US?
Try again. $10 an hour in the US would work out to approximately $6400 pesos a month, or $40 pesos an hour at 40 hours week. $3000 pesos, therefore, works out to $18.75 pesos an hour, or $4.68 US an hour. That's also calculating at 4:1, which is slipping more in favor of the dollar.

ETA: to add a little perspective to this wage, that's less per hour than is the going hourly wage for a maid. If you pay less than that you're "una rata" according to the recent discussions.

Three years ago I worked a 9-5 job here and got paid $2000 pesos / month

such beautiful times, i learned spanish and everyone else working there was an argentina in their 20s we had so much fun. It was like being back at school except u didnt learn anything and you got paid a small amount of cash to turn up. Sometimes on dark and cold nights sitting alone watching trash on tv my mind goes back

and i wish i could go back to these days of simplistic beauty
of joy without financial thinking
of eating 1 empanada for dinner
but no
I had to let it happen...
I had to change...
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

fifs2 said:
And is that a crime?Outsourcing to lower cost overseas locations and paying lower local rates for the same function that would be paid X times higher at home, think China, India, Bulgaria, Philipinnes etc etc is hardly new...the salary seems totally reasonable for a local based here but not exactly fantastic bearing in mind the part-time nature of the work and the fact the person (if honest) would have to cough up for montributista payments and money transfer costs which are no small change these days.
As a local employer (of expats and locals) I am constantly surprised by expats postings saying they'd kill for a job here to help them live..but then recurl at the prospect of earning 3500 or so pesos for a low responsibility 9-5 job...there was one such post recently and the OP didnt even acknowledge my offer to meet for a chat so clearly expats need to lose the currency converter calculator they have in their brains if they really want to work here.

The problem is the responsibilities aren't minimal and they're posting it on a Expats board. You're right, for a local Argentine this salary would be in line with expectations. But Argentines also have access to garantias and a family network that makes the salary doable. An expat does not.

While I have seen jobs advertised at AR$3000 that is on the low side for a 40 hour work week, especially in light of the peso weakening against the dollar, so it's not like they're doing anyone any favors.

Appreciate all the responses - takes all sorts to make a world but what made me laugh most was the idea this was not a low responsibility job...proof-reading docs, "analysing datasheets"...it's barely a step up from flipping burgers really or maybe all the personal asssistants I know just act not that bright to fool me. The job description seems to me the person will basically be a goffer with the benefit of distance meaning you don't have to buy the guy's lunch...maybe Kevin can change his ideals and take it on and live well in BsAs.

MizzMarr said:
Try again. $10 an hour in the US would work out to approximately $6400 pesos a month, or $40 pesos an hour at 40 hours week. $3000 pesos, therefore, works out to $18.75 pesos an hour, or $4.68 US an hour. That's also calculating at 4:1, which is slipping more in favor of the dollar.

As I said why the constant conversion in your head...you LIVE IN BSAS..when I lived in Yemen I didnt constantly try to pay 4 times more for my diet 7-up because that was the right price nor did I demand to be paid more because of my universal right as an English speaking native graduated and post-graduated from a "pretigious university"...as StarLucia mentioned on a previous post we expats need to lose the preciousness factor or as addicts call it "terminal uniqueness"...speaking English, being born and educated abroad does not in itself command xxx% on salary and once you speak Spanish properly and get to know the average middle-class edicated Argentinean you will be humbled by their broad education in both culture and other.

Seems like tax evasion to me. In addition to the wage difference this UK company is saving on paying any taxes for the employee.

PhilipDT said:
Seems like tax evasion to me. In addition to the wage difference this UK company is saving on paying any taxes for the employee.

Yes, the company avoids paying the employer,s share of the state National Insurance payments , by making it a self employed post.

However the existence of a contract with hours of employment would of course ensure that this is a proper job and could even ensure the company has legal problems in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back