Joe Biden on the Falklands conflict, 1982

It made sense for a failing junta to stir up patriotism with a war for the sake of strengthening its rule.

I don't think it made sense, and more importantly, the junta right next door in Brazil, who was ideologically very similar, and who at the time faced the exact same challenges (high inflation, stagnant economy, civil unrest and loss of popularity) was absolutely perplexed and bewildered at the "solution" that their Argentine counterparts tried to pursue. Again, the declassified intelligence documents show that the Brazilian generals could not see the desirable end game for Argentina, even if their desperate hail marry pass paid off and they managed to keep the islands. The boost in patriotism would be temporary, Argentina would be ostracized and none of their underlying economic and social issues would have been addressed.

The boost in patriotism would be temporary, Argentina would be ostracized and none of their underlying economic and social issues would have been addressed.
The invasion never made sense, but the generals were desperate to stay in power. Most Argentine politicians never look beyond the next year, or the next election. Or their bank accounts.

y
i must say, it's a very nice hotel. i stayed there once before i knew who owned it :)

The local Bakery that delivered the medialunas to the hotel , mentioned that the daily delivery was one dozen..?

Back