Joeblow gets robbed

steveinbsas said:
Did you mean "common (as in typical) Steve" or "Come on, Steve?"

I will not articulate the third version of this phrase.:p
Come on..............

In reply to Don't Trust Anyone. Recently, I was in a RapiPago in a hurry to pay bills. In my haste I left my purse on the counter. I wasn't sure that's where I'd left it so when I retraced my steps a few hours later, the young woman at the desk produced the purse, which contained $600, intact. There are a lot of people to trust in this city. I've been here 9 years.

Lee said:
Yes, out of a city of 12 million I am sure there are at least 45 or 50 who can be trusted completely.

I generally follow Lee's rule of "Don't trust anyone." I know there are a lot of honest people out there, but there are also a lot of dishonest people as well. If trusting people here were so prevalent, buildings wouldn't have 24 hour security guards and cameras. People living on the lower levels of buildings wouldn't put security fencing around their balconies, nor would people put bars on their windows or these prison-like cage doors (on top of the normal ones) I've seen around the city. I hate to say it, but it's how things are here (among other large cities).

I have actually dropped my wallet in the street once when leaving a farmacia and once again when getting out of a taxi ---- both times regular Porteños pointed it out to me urgently! :)

The worst thing that ever happened was when we hired some guys (who turned out to be Barra Bravas) to move apartments. At the end of the move they tried to demand triple payment ---- we ended up giving them double was they were extremely threatening. I will never forget the feeling of being threatened in my own home by those thugs --- but thuggery is an accepted part of the culture here.

Leaving a back pack on a park bench is asking for it to get nicked though.
Sorry mate!

JoeBlow,
Imagine the knowledge those thieves will get once they open up that netbook and see the most awesome dictionary ever created by the most interesting man in the world!

Back