Joeblow gets robbed

richknitt said:
I too have come to the conclution that most people here are theives. Since I have been here about a year, we have been cheated out of money by workers we hired to remodel our house, had a mountain bike stolen from your locked compond and had our truck set fire to. Most dishearting is that it was done by people we trusted and the police are so corrupt that they turn a blind eye. No one ever see's a thing and are unwilling to help.

Unfortunately, although I never thought it would come to this I have to agree with you. In the 5 years I have lived here, I have been held up at gunpoint, Buenos Aires city government "inspectors" came to my business trying to get me to pay them bribes, my former business partner tried to steal money and tried to fool me to try and sign over my property to him, he forged documents to open bank accounts in our business name for family members of his. An electrician gave me a price to do some work once I paid him, he then took apart the whole electrical system in our apartment and then demanded a huge amount of money to make it work again, etc. Unfortunately now I understand why this country has SUCH a bad reputation and very few people including it's own citizens trust anybody here. Believe it or not, the few times I have dealt with the police here they have been more than helpful and have never been dishonest with me. At this point the only government officials I have been able to trust are the police, the rest are SEWER RATS.
I love my friends here and I have a wonderful partner, but I trust NOBODY with my posessions here (except my partner) and until people decide that they want to join the real world, well the place is just dammed to repeat it's own history, over and over. I came here with a very open heart and open mind and well my opinion has been formed by my experiences.

Gringoboy said:
Every time I see the title of this thread, I can't help thinking it says Joe gets a BJ....lol
Or is it just me?

Yes, its just you--pervert!

Just kiddin, i could really use one soon though.

Buenos Aires is not for the distracted! Sorry this happened to you.

Since bars on windows came up... I'd like to know your opinions. ;)

Our bedroom is on the second floor of a house, there are two giant windows with metal bars, and only one wooden staircase down... the floor is entirely made of wood and there are electrical outlets (computer desk) underneath the staircase.

How safe is this really? I feel like our bedroom is a death trap which basically goes against everything I ever learned about fire safety in elementary school. I really want to remove the bars on one of the windows so we at least have the option of jumping should God forbid a fire break out.... but my fiance feels we'd have enough time to run out. Basically he's gambling on the fact that burglars are a much bigger threat than fire. I say we have the gun... burglars we might be able to deal with. You can't shoot fire!

Keep the bars or get rid of them? If we get rid of them, what's the best way to secure a very large wooden frame sliding window?

(I should mention the house is in a not-so-great area even by Argentina standards. We're right next to a major street and there aren't any other houses around - mostly warehouses and industry. Thieves are a possibility, in the past they've robbed copper wire.)

And sorry for the thread hijack, but I think robbery at my house and then fire! So it's a double concern. :p

keep the bars eclair, buy a fire stinguisher medium size.
a second option would be to replace one regular bars with a door like bars something you can open with a key and hung the key in the bedroom. but it isn`t common to have problems with fire. but from that window where can you jump to? if you still need firefighters to catch you on the way down leave the bars as they are since firefighters will cut the bars if required.

Back