Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

AkBill said:
WOW 11+ years that has to be some kind of record.. let us know what happens.

You are an inhabitant, you don´t need to go to Colonia. This is an unnecessary risk. If you feel like to apply for citizenship, you are an easy case to win.
Regards

My recent experience as an EEUU'er has been as follows:

I've been doing this now for almost 2 years (no where near 11+ years!)
My last run to Montevideo in April was met with smiles and waves by passport control when I exited and returned to Argentina. I was at day 86. Not a single statement made by Argentine authorities, other than to remark that my UK friend and I had very pretty eyes. She's been doing the same boarder runs as I have. Neither one of has ever had a problem.

I exited EZE in May for a 90 day trip to the US, using my US passport. I did get asked a bunch of questions as well when I left, but nothing more serious than "where have you been staying?" and "who packed your bags?".

I returned in August through EZE. Not a single word was said, the man looked through my passport stamps, charged me the entry fee, found a clean page (next to my Chilean visa) to put the Argentine payment certificate, stamped me in for 90 days, and waved me on my way.

I don't sense any tightening, as long as one doesn't overstay the visa.

I wish they'd just decide to make some money out of us and charge us a hundred bucks for an extension each time....I think we'd all be happy enough to pay that. :)

I've recently heard, that you can only do the Colonia run 10 times - then they refuse it...

That would be almost three years worth of visas. Pretty much just wishful thinking at this point. It might have been possible in the past but I doubt that, with the new decreto, people will be allowed more than 1-2 Colonia runs. And they shouldn't be.

If they wish to live here, they will not be able to do it on a tourist visa. That is the point of the new decreto. Tourists must return to their home country when their tourist visas expire. If they wish to remain as residents in Argentina, they will either have to apply for the proper visa or they will have to go to court, pay a lawyer and remain in the country illegally while the process takes it's course. But if you lose in court, you might never be allowed back in.

Good luck.

Lea said:
I've recently heard, that you can only do the Colonia run 10 times - then they refuse it...

I just got back from a trip from the US 3 days ago... I've been here 2.5 years. When I left, the guy told me he liked my eyes. He asked me when I came... I told him and he didn't look to confirm it and stamped my passport. When I came back, the woman stamped my passport after locating the visa sticker.... she didn't even page through my passport. I normally get at least one or two questions... but nothing this time. And my previous trip I went through Colon- Paysandu... A Gendarmeria post... they weren't so friendly... they made me get out of the car. There were a bunch of consultations with more important looking people. But once they realized that we were a couple... they laughed, stamped my passport, and waved us through... they weren't going to break a couple up I guess. SO I think arbitrary is the best description of immigration enforcement. I only have one more Colonia run in my life and I pretty happy about that... Arbitrary enforcement can go both ways. I think its entirely possible that someone will get turned back when some immigration officer is having a bad day. And I really don't want that to be me.

Hi all,

I was planning to do the Colonia run next weekend, since I had in mind my visa ran out in June. Cleverly enough I went to change money today and found that today is my last legal day here.

Of course the panic button was hit in my mind a little, as I've been careful to try and stay legal here for the last 18 months. Looks like my clean sheet will be marked somewhat.

I was wondering though - is it now better to just wait until I leave the country in October, or to try and exit the country next weekend as planned?
Also - will I be able to get in after I leave bearing in mind the current 'crazkdowns'?

Cheers
Rich

richforsyth said:
Hi all,

I was planning to do the Colonia run next weekend, since I had in mind my visa ran out in June. Cleverly enough I went to change money today and found that today is my last legal day here.

Of course the panic button was hit in my mind a little, as I've been careful to try and stay legal here for the last 18 months. Looks like my clean sheet will be marked somewhat.

I was wondering though - is it now better to just wait until I leave the country in October, or to try and exit the country next weekend as planned?
Also - will I be able to get in after I leave bearing in mind the current 'crazkdowns'?

Cheers
Rich

If I were you, I'd just wait for October and pay the overstay fee.

Alilou said:
And my previous trip I went through Colon- Paysandu... A Gendarmeria post... they weren't so friendly... they made me get out of the car.

Ezeiza immigration people are pretty relaxed, and the same goes for Colonia.

Now, Colon/Paysandu, and Fray Bentos are a different story. There the agents go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and pester me with a thousand questions. Small towns seem to get assigned all the ill-natured nitpickers.

richforsyth said:
Hi all,

Cheers
Rich

I suggest you don´t go. In a few months you can apply for citizenship or permanent residence. According to decreto 616-2010 you don´t have a clean sheet. This is a misunderstood, you are as irregular as the one who never went to Colonia.
If you cross the border at nigh with a boat evading all the controls you are irregular. As soon as you became part of our society your initial irregularity is fixed and you become an inhabitant. Then you have the same rights as an argentinian.
The Supreme Court said:

"The legislation about strangers admission has no term, after (since?) who has entered into the country undercover might be considered inhabitant, but that situation might change -the initial irregularity might be heal- proving with his record, the behavior he has had in order to show a straight behavior and loyal aims to take root and subordination to the principles of national life, entitled to invoke the constitutional guarantee of staying in the country"

I insist, I am not speculating.
Regards

Back