Just for fun - if you wanted to blow a lot of cash on a big night out in BsAs...

jenh

Registered
This is for fun, although I'm hoping to get some good suggestions as far as swanky places to check out...

Part of the origin of this was that a friend and I were commenting that, unlike San Francisco or London, it's hard to find a drink here that would cost more than $10 US, even at the more expensive clubs and hotels. (I think the closest we have found is at the Four Seasons hotel bar.)

Say you had a bunch of cash to blow on one Saturday out in Buenos Aires. Where would you go and how much do you think you could manage to spend? The limits are - it's spending on activities/food/drink, not clothes/toys/etc., and it has to be within Capital Federal.

Have you tried the Faena Hotel in Puerto Madero. Their tango show is pretty pricey as is the restaurnat/bar. It is where welathy Russians choose to hang out. However I must add just because something is pricey doesn't necessarily mean it is good. It depends a lot on what floats your boat! I have often found that the more underground (and often cheaper) places have more 'onda'.

I actually quite like the library bar at the Faena. I haven't checked out the tango show - sounds like it might be too touristy for me. The bar has good cocktails, though, and on a nice day it's good to sit by the pool bar. They also have a decent scotch selection.

Has anyone had dinner in one of their restaurants and would recommend it?

Not sure that the rich Russians are my scene, but it is great people watching I suppose! I agree with you that more expensive is often not "better" but this is kind of a fun exercise. My favorite restaurant in town is a classic but not expensive parilla.

You can hire a private boat to take you out onto the rio de la plata and up to Tigre. Obviously stock up with as much champagne as needed.

jenh said:
This is for fun, although I'm hoping to get some good suggestions as far as swanky places to check out...

Part of the origin of this was that a friend and I were commenting that, unlike San Francisco or London, it's hard to find a drink here that would cost more than $10 US, even at the more expensive clubs and hotels. (I think the closest we have found is at the Four Seasons hotel bar.)

Say you had a bunch of cash to blow on one Saturday out in Buenos Aires. Where would you go and how much do you think you could manage to spend? The limits are - it's spending on activities/food/drink, not clothes/toys/etc., and it has to be within Capital Federal.

You must be kidding right? I had to double check the date on your post to make sure it wasn't from 7 years ago. I spend about US$8-10 a drink most times I go out. Most drinks are 30-50 pesos. Last time I was at crobar, about a year ago, a bottle of sminoff red (aka swill) set us back US$110.

I was wondering about that as well. Going rate for standard cocktails in bars in Canitas is 35 or 40 pesos so 9 - 10 USD. Specialty with imported liquor - 60 pesos and up. In clubs, more. I think last time I was at the Faena, (which was over a year ago), drinks were around 15 or 20 USD.

As for the rest -if you're so inclined, check out guia oleo for great (and expensive) restaurants. Go to a swanky bar and drink some 50 peso cocktails. Go out dancing and get a VIP table and bottle service. Get a private car and driver to drive you around. It's pretty easy to spend a few hundred dollars without blinking.

Hippopotamus could be worth a look as far as blowing cash goes. I must warn you, it isn't just money they blow there... but hey, you wanted a swanky place? By local standards, it is.

jenh said:
I actually quite like the library bar at the Faena. I haven't checked out the tango show - sounds like it might be too touristy for me. The bar has good cocktails, though, and on a nice day it's good to sit by the pool bar. They also have a decent scotch selection.

Has anyone had dinner in one of their restaurants and would recommend it?

Not sure that the rich Russians are my scene, but it is great people watching I suppose! I agree with you that more expensive is often not "better" but this is kind of a fun exercise. My favorite restaurant in town is a classic but not expensive parilla.

We've had dinner many times at El Bistro and Mercado. Neither my favorite, but my other half seems to like them. But he did go to the tango show there with visiting friends, and did not care for it. I guess one of the song acts is/was Roxanne and was kind of kooky.

Don't know about Russians, but visiting celebs often stay there. Sometimes you can tell by the crowd gathering outside. You can often see Mr. Faena himself walking around the premises as well.

2GuysInPM said:
We've had dinner many times at El Bistro and Mercado. Neither my favorite, but my other half seems to like them. But he did go to the tango show there with visiting friends, and did not care for it. I guess one of the song acts is/was Roxanne and was kind of kooky.

Don't know about Russians, but visiting celebs often stay there. Sometimes you can tell by the crowd gathering outside. You can often see Mr. Faena himself walking around the premises as well.

The Faena Hotel is an interesting place, and you can drop some cash there. I have had a few good dinners and brunches at the Mercado, the Library Bar is pleasant and the Pool Bar is cool (has good ceviche, in my opinion). Never been in the place with the white unicorns on the wall, I always expect to see Elton John sitting in there. Several years ago my brother was visiting and staying at the Faena, Friday night we went out and when we came back, we decided to go to the Pool Bar, it was rocking, the Police were there, no not that kind, I’m talking Sting, Andy and Stewart, it was a great time, at least what I remember. It was the weekend they performed 2 concerts in River Plate Stadium.

Back