Keeping the quarantine versus adding ICUs

on the brink

Registered
I wonder

-- SINCE we are being quarantined to "flatten the curve" - that is, make sure the intensive care bed inventory is enough for virus patients...

-- AND with much of the country paralyzed, millions of pesos are
a) Lost in nonexistent tax revenues and
b) Disbursed to those now working in food supplies, salary assistance, etc...

-- THEREFORE, why not use those millions to add IC beds to hospitals, and lift the quarantine?

No matter how long we shelter in place, this virus will run its course. Sooner or later - or until a safe and effective vaccine is available - most of us are bound to get if.

Just saying

Last edited:
Simply putting in more beds solves little. We are seeing all kinds of oddball results of this virus- we see people who stay sick for months (and some are quite young).
We see long lasting after affects, in previously young healthy athletic types. At this point, it seems as if a percentage of the population gets lifelong serious health issues.

Getting this virus is not good.
Its not something that you can just get sick, and move on.
Certainly, some people can, but many, of all ages, have differing cases.

The New Zealand approach is much better than the "let everyone get sick, and God will sort em out" approach.

And the economic effect of just letting everybody get sick is ten times worse than a scientific lockdown and contact tracing approach.

Italy is doing pretty well- but every day in the USA today is as bad as Italy's worst day , after being adjusted for population.
The USA and Brazil are both great examples of your model, and in six months, lets see how they compare to New Zealand and Italy, eh?

The cat is well and truly out of the bag. Now we are where we are. There will be time to ask the hard questions later of the political incompetence that took into a strict lockdown prematurely with no actual containment or exit strategy.

The New Zealand (or even Australian) approach is not viable here - shamefully, Argentina missed the opportunity months ago when the majority of cases were still imports. There is zero comparison to my country. Argentina will end up like a European country with thousands of deaths regardless. We already have almost half as many cases as France had and it is only just starting here while France is pretty much back to normal. Hence I think the only thing to do is follow what worked in France or Germany and brace for impact. These measures do not necessarily need to be draconian like Argentina has done to date (which has not proved to be effective anywhere) but they do need to be effective and limit unnecessary gathering and interaction of people.

Personally regardless of what the government says, I will be taking greater precautions over the coming weeks. A cashier at my local supermarket got the virus. A doorman at a neighbouring building got the virus. Two others at a neighbouring building (one of the most prestigious and expensive in Argentina) died from it today - ages 35 and 36. It does not discriminate based on age or social status. That is at least four cases including two deaths reported on one city block in one day.

Last edited:
Simply putting in more beds solves little. We are seeing all kinds of oddball results of this virus- we see people who stay sick for months (and some are quite young).
We see long lasting after affects, in previously young healthy athletic types. At this point, it seems as if a percentage of the population gets lifelong serious health issues.

Getting this virus is not good.
Its not something that you can just get sick, and move on.
Certainly, some people can, but many, of all ages, have differing cases.

The New Zealand approach is much better than the "let everyone get sick, and God will sort em out" approach.

And the economic effect of just letting everybody get sick is ten times worse than a scientific lockdown and contact tracing approach.

Italy is doing pretty well- but every day in the USA today is as bad as Italy's worst day , after being adjusted for population.
The USA and Brazil are both great examples of your model, and in six months, lets see how they compare to New Zealand and Italy, eh?

The USA is just awful when it comes to observing the niceties of protection. My pals in Manhattan tell me that still less than half the people (guesstimate) are wearing masks, and cuaranteening is treated with very little respect. And yet even with conditions worsening things are opening up. Hate to say it, but I think there will be more cases than are expected.

At this point, most of the data has been so politicized and manipulated on a global scale, from obvious CCP/WHO fake news to cooked numbers from anti-quarantine free-market Stanford researchers, that to speculate on any potential solutions is becoming a waste of time. The biggest problem is that there is no consistent standard for testing, nor a universal classification system for differentiating life-threatening cases from low-risk patients who can just stay in bed and drink orange juice for two weeks. All we're getting are useless scatterplots.

In warfare, it's better to wound enemies than kill them.
A wounded enemy requires care infrastructure. People that get tied to health care of others and resources that do not engage directly in conducting war.
Same here. The human resources dedicated to the pandemic are finite and getting exhausted, eroded by long term extreme and pauseless work.
Those empty beds shown here and there and the mobile hospitals are mostly for show. Cosmetic.

Adding ICU won't materialize the human resources to man them. Not a solution, or maybe just a political one.

Iz

Anybody thinking that healthy people can get the virus, be sick for a few days then return to their normal lives should read about Nick Cordero. A few weeks ago he was a healthy 41 year old man starring on Broadway.

Back