Kicillof Pays To 92% Of Bondholders, Griesa's Move Now?

...As we all can see by the fact that Dick Cheney is doing 20-30 in San Quentin for peddling Halliburton influence, one cell over from Bill Clinton who's in for tampering with a federal grand jury and war crimes in Sudan and Haiti. And then there's Scalia and Jeb Bush who are cell mates/husbands after fixing the 2000 election, and the entire Board of Directors of Goldman Sachs (aka the DNC Fund Raising Committee) who are in solitary for peddling bum mortgages and aiding drug money laundering...

Which country are you talking about?

I'm not saying that all politicians who are dirty go to jail. I think Dick Cheney is a sleaze and should have been indicted. Bill Clinton was impeached by the House for lying under oath and obstruction of justice. I don't know about Sudan and Haiti. The Scalia / Jeb issue is debatable - depending on which direction you actually wanted to the vote to go. We should eliminate lobbying, period. In my opinion it is legalized bribery. But, under the law it is legal.

There are many examples where politicians and judges do go to jail. In this case I don't believe Griesa has been bought. This decision is completely correlated with both his prior decisions as well as prior decisions by the US Supreme Court. Having said that, I don't agree with the decision. I think it is bad law, it serves only the loan sharks, and it undermines sovereign immunity. Yes, yes, yes I know Argentina explicitly waived that right but the impact of the decision is still the same.

What I find really funny are the posters now hanging around the city. Afuera Yanquis! Afuera Buitres! It's really the Yanquis who are supporting Argentina. There have been multiple amicus briefs presented to the Supreme Court by the elected US government in support of Argentina's position.

What the posters should say is: Afuera Tribunal Independente! Afuera Buitres! That would be accurate, and quite the humorous twist.

I agree; I think the Anti-Buitre/ Anti-Griesa propaganda is just that-- schlock for mass consumption. Argentina is a sovereign country and should assert her sovereignty in this case in spite of the fact that previous Argentine administrations made serious attempts to undermine it by issuing bonds under NY law. The silly propaganda campaigns do no good.

That said, your point that somehow the US justice system is equitable while the Argentine one is corrupt is laughable; both are incredibly corrupt-- but the US, with greater resources, takes corruption to new heights thus far unreachable to petty Argentine pols. The division of powers envisaged by the US founding fathers has been utterly decimated by Supreme Courts that decide elections and FISA courts that rubber stamp assassinations ordered by the executive branch. And this isn't even bringing the influence of Wall Street into the equation (the Financial Industry has 4 lobbyists for every member of congress for crissakes!)

On the other hand, Argentina has at least managed to jail some of its criminal former leaders, something the US has unfortunately yet to do.

I agree; I think the Anti-Buitre/ Anti-Griesa propaganda is just that-- schlock for mass consumption. Argentina is a sovereign country and should assert her sovereignty in this case in spite of the fact that previous Argentine administrations made serious attempts to undermine it by issuing bonds under NY law. The silly propaganda campaigns do no good.

That said, your point that somehow the US justice system is equitable while the Argentine one is corrupt is laughable; both are incredibly corrupt-- but the US, with greater resources, takes corruption to new heights thus far unreachable to petty Argentine pols. The division of powers envisaged by the US founding fathers has been utterly decimated by Supreme Courts that decide elections and FISA courts that rubber stamp assassinations ordered by the executive branch. And this isn't even bringing the influence of Wall Street into the equation (the Financial Industry has 4 lobbyists for every member of congress for crissakes!)

On the other hand, Argentina has at least managed to jail some of its criminal former leaders, something the US has unfortunately yet to do.

Again, if you can show me that Griesa has taken a payoff, please supply me the evidence. And do you seriously believe that any government should be able to disavow agreements that previous administrations have made?

Well, I agree that my comment was too black and white. However, given my first hand experience plus my understanding of the two countries I would say that the rule of law is much more prevalent in the US than it is in Argentina. I agree that the US Executive Branch has moved much more toward a Monarchy and that needs to be severely back-tracked. We elect a President, not a King. One person should not have the sole authority to wage war. We have representatives for a reason.

I don't think Argentina jailing former dictators for crimes against humanity is a good example of independent justice. I guess one could use Bush's Iraq war as an example of crimes against humanity that were not punished. However, again, that was done within the law - whether or not you agree with the action. The dictatorships were unconstitutional.

Back