Kindle?

thuy.ashtango

Registered
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a Kindle. If you have one, I'd love to hear about your experience. Are you limited in what books you can download since we're in AR, etc?
Thank you.
Thuy

It's definitely one the best thing I have ever purchased. It is to books what the mp3 player is to music.
I believe there are some limitations on certain books outside the U.S, but that has nothing to do with Argentina. If you change your address on your amazon account and browse Kindle books on their website, you can see what's available.
The new global wireless version works here too. You can download books and use Wikipedia with 3G.

It's great, but you should note that if you've got an iPhone, or an iPod touch you can download a free app for it and read them that way without spending the 300 bucks -- I prefer it to the actual Kindle.

About 40% of the things that I want to read are available through Kindle, with no additional restrictions from AR that I can tell. But given the selection of English language books here, it's an amazing resource.

Reading a book on an iPhone, you serious? A lot of scrolling then... And you can't use it in sunlight either.

Kindles are the nuts

I never use the Wireless, I dont even know if mine would work here, I just use USB cable

Suprisingly, there's no problem with the iPhone at all, sunlight or scrolling. And I've got it with me all the time. It's great.

you cannot compare reading books on an iphone to a kindle, kindle uses e-ink which is MUCH MUCH better than any other type of screen in the world today, e-ink is like reading a real book, it has been developed to read books and nothing else, an iphone is an iphone, a cell phone with a big screen.

Still, for Argentina I don't recommend buying a kindle, it's very expensive and has limitations, there are now a bunch of other ebook readers that read books from memory cards, wi fi, usb, they are cheaper and don't depend on amazons stock and formats

In my experience, the Kindle is the best e-reader. But if you don't have the $ hundreds to spend, the free iPhone app is outstanding substitute.

FYI: The Kindle App for Blackberry is finally out! I am a book-a-holic so this made my week. I now read all of my books on the Storm.

Brad

Apple recently announced the iPad. I think it will change the whole book reader equation. It should be on the market in about a month. You can go to apple.com to see all about it. I wouldn't buy anything until the iPad comes out. The Kindle may be much cheaper with this competition.

On an unrelated note....what does "Kindles are the nuts" mean?

Praetor said:
I never use the Wireless, I dont even know if mine would work here, I just use USB cable

Why not try? Takes you like a few seconds. If you have the second edition it will work here.

TomAtAlki said:
Apple recently announced the iPad. I think it will change the whole book reader equation. It should be on the market in about a month. You can go to apple.com to see all about it. I wouldn't buy anything until the iPad comes out. The Kindle may be much cheaper with this competition.

Like zork said, there is a difference between a LCD screen and e-ink. Also, the Kindle costs 259 USD, hardly expensive. Buying books from the Kindle store is where you spend your money.

Back