Kindle?

TomAtAlki said:
Apple recently announced the iPad. I think it will change the whole book reader equation. It should be on the market in about a month. You can go to apple.com to see all about it. I wouldn't buy anything until the iPad comes out. The Kindle may be much cheaper with this competition.

On an unrelated note....what does "Kindles are the nuts" mean?

An iPad is nothing else but a huge iPod Touch, the screen does not use e-ink, people really need to see an actual e-ink screen to see what I mean when I say you can't compare an iPhone with a cool app to an e-ink e-book reader, it's like comparing a cell phone camera to a professional camera

A Kindle can be compared to other e-ink e-book readers, not to ipods, ipads or iphones

zork said:
you cannot compare reading books on an iphone to a kindle, kindle uses e-ink which is MUCH MUCH better than any other type of screen in the world today, e-ink is like reading a real book, it has been developed to read books and nothing else, an iphone is an iphone, a cell phone with a big screen.

Yeah, and yet I prefer it to a Kindle. Go figure.

its just an expression, means they are awesome!

+1 for not reading books on in a I phone [or blackberry]

Agreed. The book is easier to read on the Kindle.

But the convenience of not having to carry around an additional device is a nice perk (+ in addition to saving $). I read 100+ books on the iTouch last year and had no complaints.

Just finished Shutter Island on the Blackberry last night. Incredible book - off subject, but if any other avid readers want to chat, I'm down!

Brad

I have a Sony e-reader, and a friend of mine has a kindle so it is easy for me to compare them. I really like the SONY one better. It has an external drive allowing a lot more freedom. It was also cheaper than the Kindle. The only thing that I liked better about the Kindle is that the material it is made from is 'warmer' where the SONY one is metal and 'colder' also the edges are more round on the Kindle. Aesthetically the Kindle is superior, but there are other things to consider as well when dealing with electronics.

flippinkittin said:
I have a Sony e-reader, and a friend of mine has a kindle so it is easy for me to compare them. I really like the SONY one better. It has an external drive allowing a lot more freedom. It was also cheaper than the Kindle. The only thing that I liked better about the Kindle is that the material it is made from is 'warmer' where the SONY one is metal and 'colder' also the edges are more round on the Kindle. Aesthetically the Kindle is superior, but there are other things to consider as well when dealing with electronics.

I'd probably buy a Sony too if it wasn't for their selection not being as big as Amazon's. Or at least that was my impression.

I love my Kindle. It might be a little pricey, but books are cheaper to buy for the Kindle than if you were getting a physical copy. If you add up the cost of the Kindle and the books I've bought for it and compare it to the cost to what I would have spent buying a physical copy of each book, then I've saved money. It's also great for travelling. It, conservatively, cut the weight of my carry-on baggage in half. Another nice fact is that the battery will last a week before needing to be recharged.

I have a sony reader and I really love it. it's the pocket version - cost $199 in the US. It's smaller so it's like holding a paperback book in one hand. No frills like mp3, wifi, or note taking, but I bought the thing so I can read, wasn't interested in extras.

I think Sony accepts more formats than Kindle like Epub, etc, so is more open, but the reality is I bought it because it was the cheapest! I believe Barnes and Nobles books are Epub and there's talk that amazon will eventually switch to it too. So it's good not to be locked into buying only from one store.

BTW -There's a free download called Calibre - software to manage and organize ebooks. It also does file conversions between PDF, Epub and more.

There are also lots of other online stores that sell ebooks.

If anyone wants to do some book swaps, PM me.

TomAtAlki said:
Apple recently announced the iPad. I think it will change the whole book reader equation. It should be on the market in about a month. You can go to apple.com to see all about it. I wouldn't buy anything until the iPad comes out. The Kindle may be much cheaper with this competition.

ipod-netbook.jpg

So why not just read it on your notebook? And my notebook has touchscreen too.

Back