Knife robbery attempt in Palermo

Don't really understand why you were illegally carrying a knife in Palermo. But if that was the case, you got what was coming to you.

Hey Mannanan, sorry that happened to you. At least you got away. A machete? Sheez...

No one deserves to be a victim. Please receive a hearty FUCK YEAH for getting away, but I'd heed the advice on the knife. Dealing with legal fees and incarceration here would be far worse than a mugging. Even if that ends alright, you'd probably be deported and barred from re-entry. THEN, NO MORE PARILLA FOR YOU!

Take care...

Thanks for the support guys!

Should've been clearer about the location: it was Arevalo and Costa Rica where it happened - I was walking in the direction of Santa Fe. But I know those tunnels under the train tracks at Carranza and yes, they're creepy as hell.

I know a number of locals and expats who carry knives around (including one of my housemates) but I'm not one of them. However I did have one of their knives with me for about 30 minutes that night for a convoluted reason that's too long & random to explain here. It was the only time I've ever carried a weapon in a public place, and this happens to me. Not sure that I "got what was coming" to me, but the coincidence is certainly weird.

Sprinting away was an adrenaline fuelled knee-jerk reaction to seeing a glimpse of a very scary weapon. I was much faster than them (I do a lot of training and thankfully I wasn't drunk) and I turned around a second or so later to confirm that they weren't catching up. They suddenly changed direction and ran away, and then I realised that I was holding the opened knife in my hand.

I am not patting myself on the back. It actually scares me that my automatic reactions basically took over and made a couple of potentially very stupid and dangerous decisions for me. I do not recommend this as a strategy for avoiding a robbery for a number of reasons that are obvious when you have the luxury of a few seconds to think about the situation. But in this particular instance it led to the best possible outcome for me - not harmed or robbed.

I think it's important that we can share these stories as freely as possible so that we can all be aware of specific times / places / situations / scams / behaviours etc.

Reactions: tez
Palermo IS NOT a safe neighborhood. Why somebody would try to find somebody to steal from in, let´s say, Ituzaingó, when they can find people with all kinds of electronics and money on them in "posh" Palermistán? Palermo has bars, pretty girls and is close to the center and parks, but it is far from being the safest place in BA and surroundings.

manannan said:
I instinctively shouted "Fuck off!" and ran down the street as fast as I could. They followed me for a second or two but then gave up. Possibly because I was carrying a knife of my own which I flashed at them as I ran (I wouldn't have a clue what to actually do with a knife if it came to it).

Well done, sir! The next step is to learn how to use that pigsticker, and hope the next pair of lowlife thugs scare as easily!

manannan said:
I am not patting myself on the back. It actually scares me that my automatic reactions basically took over and made a couple of potentially very stupid and dangerous decisions for me.

It's a good and natural reaction. It served you well, and if you learn to get comfortable with it it may well do so again.

palermochica said:
Assuming you're not a budding sashimi chef, I'm shocked at your revelation. And actually quite disgusted. Shame on you.

Oh, YOU are DISGUSTED. SHOCKED even! Shame on HIM, going peaceably about his business and carrying the means to protect himself! You blame the victim, and I wonder if maybe you feel for those poor footpads, being cheated of what they thought would be easy prey. I wish harm on no man, but if you wound up robbed and violated in an alley one morning because you just cooperated one could hardly fail to afford the irony a chuckle.

I was living in an apartment just on the other side of the bridge from Soler. First night there, heard two gunshots on my block.

Its not a safe area. Palermo Hollywood is to dark and to empty at night to be walking around alone. Even when you get to Santa Fe, its to empty and deserted at night and a lot of shady people hang out in the park above the tunnel.

You are lucky you are ok. Just take it as a wake up call and learn from it.

Back