Knife robbery attempt in Palermo

BA is a big city, so, it has its fare share of the big cities problems. But according to yearly 2009 servery, it still is in top 10 most safe big cities in the world.

As Palermo being "safe area" - think again. There people with the real money live, so it's easier get some out of 'em, then. My argentine friend got robbed at gun point at the doors of a bank two blocks from his home in Palermo - at day lights. Bank said that their security camera broke, so they see nothing...

I live near Congreso, use Banelcos, walk very often late - and never saw any criminal activities, yet. Though there r people on the streets here practically all the time. Guess, it helps.

In conclusion, it's often a "being in wrong place, at wrong time" factor, so, one just needs to be careful..

Carrying and brandishing a weapon is illegal in Buenos Aires. If you have any doubt, walk up to a police officer and pull out your weapon and ask " is this legal ? ". You'll probably get a more honest answer than either you or I can give. Comrade.

I will reiterate my point and whoever doesn't like it should just get over it. If you are walking around with a weapon, you will eventually be made to use it. Chances are you will end up dead or in prison at some point. The end.

CedarPawn said:
Knives (under 9 inches if memory serves) aren't illegal, comrade.

TheBlackHand said:
I will reiterate my point and whoever doesn't like it should just get over it. If you are walking around with a weapon, you will eventually be made to use it. Chances are you will end up dead or in prison at some point. The end.

That is the reason one carries a weapon: to use it if necessary. And what measures do you advocate for legitimate self-defence? Other than pepper spray?

bigbadwolf said:
That is the reason one carries a weapon: to use it if necessary. And what measures do you advocate for legitimate self-defence? Other than pepper spray?

Since guns aren't really an option I'm thinking of getting a nice, heavy cane. It'd be no match for a gun obviously, but it's legal anywhere, fairly inconspicuous, has reach on any knife and you could incapacitate/drive off someone without having to explain a couple of ventilated thugs to the cops afterward.

AndrewWoodward said:
Oh good, another (really boring) debate about weapons.

Oh good, another condescending ass who takes umbrage that a topic not of interest to him is being discussed.

Manannan, really sorry that happened to you and glad you got away! You absolutely did not "get what was coming to you" by being mugged. You have every right to defend yourself and no reason to apologize for it.
Everyone has a inherent right to defend themselves and their property. That right isn't given to me by any government no government can take it away either by force or by legislation...and any person or government which tries to do so is trying to protect themselves, not you.

palermochica said:
Assuming you're not a budding sashimi chef, I'm shocked at your revelation. And actually quite disgusted. Shame on you.

The knife belonged to me, actually. I don't think it's disgusting to carry around a knife. I've had to use it several times and never has it been to cut someone. I gave the knife to Eoghan as barter for a dinner that he paid for that I would pay him back for since he's so damn sweet. Don't judge my friend because he had a knife that belongs to a girl from Texas that was given to her for Christmas from her boyfriend. Eoghan isn't disgusting and neither is my vintage knife.

TheBlackHand said:
Don't really understand why you were illegally carrying a knife in Palermo. But if that was the case, you got what was coming to you.
What sort of dickhead are you? No one "deserves" to get mugged, whatever they may be carrying.

Back