Korean Food, Anyone? Sat, 6 Sep - Baexpat Lunch

Hi, was wondering if this is still on?....I have some out of town visitors inviting me to do stuff Saturday so I could go either way...what I do know is can't do the Subte thing....and heed to make plans before Thursday night. How's it looking?

Still on...let me know if you are still in, Lacoqueta.

Yup! Sounds good. Let me know what time my remisero friend should come get us to go so I can give him a heads up.

I went last Saturday and really enjoyed. It's strange being on the other side of a HUGE wall that (barely) hides a HUGE villa, but not that much different from being in Retiro. And the Koreatown side is nice with interesting markets selling all sorts of Barrio chino and Liniers- type products for much cheaper than in the aforementioned places!! We went to a restaurant on a side street. It doesn't say the name out from but it's at Saraza 2135 (you must ring the bell) and the official name is Hang Gu Kuan. It was $140 per person not including drinks. It seemed a bit dingy and was just off the main street but was full of Koreans, we were the only foreigners in there. None of the servers/ staff we saw were Koreans but all the tables were filled with huge groups of Koreans so it seemed like a good decision. And most of the food was great. Of course there were some plates that we had to ask ourselves why they might have served this (some weird potato salad thing for example) but the meat was yummmmmy!!! A++!

Just arrived in town from Chicago yesterday. Che! I'd like to join you all

Hi Midwestward, we are three going in a remis. I believe we can arrange to include one more (Lacoqueta can confirm). If you'd like to join us, the cost of remis will be split 4 ways. Let me know if you are still interested and I'll pm you the details.

I went last Saturday and really enjoyed. It's strange being on the other side of a HUGE wall that (barely) hides a HUGE villa, but not that much different from being in Retiro. And the Koreatown side is nice with interesting markets selling all sorts of Barrio chino and Liniers- type products for much cheaper than in the aforementioned places!! We went to a restaurant on a side street. It doesn't say the name out from but it's at Saraza 2135 (you must ring the bell) and the official name is Hang Gu Kuan. It was $140 per person not including drinks. It seemed a bit dingy and was just off the main street but was full of Koreans, we were the only foreigners in there. None of the servers/ staff we saw were Koreans but all the tables were filled with huge groups of Koreans so it seemed like a good decision. And most of the food was great. Of course there were some plates that we had to ask ourselves why they might have served this (some weird potato salad thing for example) but the meat was yummmmmy!!! A++!

The one at Balbastro is better but perhaps you need reservation for a larga group. It is also less, non koreans friendly regarding the food. They offer the barbacue plus soup and the sides. The clam soup is terrific.

The one at Balbastro is better but perhaps you need reservation for a larga group. It is also less, non koreans friendly regarding the food. They offer the barbacue plus soup and the sides. The clam soup is terrific.

We're going to Balbastro...thanks for the clam soup recommendation, Bajo_cero, soup is top of my list.

Not a very good panoramic picture but a view of what kind of spread to expact when going to Chon Kwi (Balbastro 2059). The meat was good quality, the soup (not clam this time) was a spicy tangy spare rib soup (very good, in my opinion). The sides were all good, as well.

My favorite is still a place on Carabobo, upstairs from the street, you may have to ring a bell to get inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 11
Back