Korean Food, Anyone? Sat, 6 Sep - Baexpat Lunch

Beware that a couple of restaurants on Carabobo are now employing an apartheid Korean only policy at the door. I have found that you can get in with a token Korean and that one token Korean is usually good enough to cover four honkeys (though you might get a better rate for your token Korean if you ask around).

Did you experience this first hand, Pauper? We went in July with no problem. They asked how we heard about the restaurant. Everyone was welcoming.

Did you experience this first hand, Pauper? We went in July with no problem. They asked how we heard about the restaurant. Everyone was welcoming.

Yeah, I'd name the places but they don't have names! I just realised your meeting is for lunch, I recall at least one told me that non-Korean subhumans could enter at lunch time but dinner time, no. Had a good laugh the first time it happened, then immediately went on to the street and acquired me a Korean. The second time in a different restaurant I was lucky to have already invited a Korean. Anyway, neither of those places are particularly easy to find (nor are they even amongst the better restaurants there) I just thought I'd thow it on the bbq as an interesting tidbit.

Yeah, I'd name the places but they don't have names! I just realised your meeting is for lunch, I recall at least one told me that non-Korean subhumans could enter at lunch time but dinner time, no. Had a good laugh the first time it happened, then immediately went on to the street and acquired me a Korean. The second time in a different restaurant I was lucky to have already invited a Korean. Anyway, neither of those places are particularly easy to find (nor are they even amongst the better restaurants there) I just thought I'd thow it on the bbq as an interesting tidbit.

Yup, I don't know the names of either of the two restaurants which I've been recommended. I heard the same about going for dinner (Koreans or invite only).

Yeah, if you can't read Korean, for all intents and purposes most of the places down there don't have names beyond 'restaurante' and, yes, most people are very welcoming although there are still a few shops where on a fairly regular basis I am made to feel like leaving quickly would be a good idea.

I only noticed this apartheid thing about a year ago, in four years of regular visits previous to that it was never an issue.

Reactions: Joe
Ooooh i've been meaning to check out Koreatown AND I've been meaning to go to one of these BAE get-togethers for a while BUT I have a huerta organica class downtown for the next 5 Saturdays from 2-4!! Which probably will intersect with this lunch hour quite badly. Any chance it'll be planned for 12 noon ?

Holy cow, Hybrid-san what happened to the discretion Nihonjin are famous for?

I was Googling for Korean food recipe to cook, then came to this video...Reality check, called a Korean friend to verify that this is honest
and he told me, Koreanos eats Ajoko's best friend often especially in the muggy summer..Too late now and sorry to have spoiled many people's appetite..

Beware that a couple of restaurants on Carabobo are now employing an apartheid Korean only policy (this is usually communicated to you by the Paraguayan waiter at the door). I have found that you can get in with a token Korean and that one token Korean is usually good enough to cover four honkeys (though you might get a better rate for your token Korean if you ask around).
Jaja, there are many restaurants in LA only have Korean signs, if there is one like that in BsAs, I am not surprised. Usually the reason is to just serve hardcore Korean food, so they do not expect honkeys to show up, just to make it their business easier. I agree it's rude, but they do take you if you know what you are doing, I mean, speak one sentence of Korean or appreciate hardcore Korean food. As for the 1 token Korean and 4 honkey ratio, do not know how you calculated it out ? :) Since it's a token Korean, just bring any Asian, they wouldn't know :)

Just say: Anyong-haseyo 안녕하세요

Jaja, there are many restaurants in LA only have Korean signs, if there is one like that in BsAs, I am not surprised. Usually the reason is to just serve hardcore Korean food, so they do not expect honkeys to show up, just to make it their business easier. I agree it's rude, but they do take you if you know what you are doing, I mean, speak one sentence of Korean or appreciate hardcore Korean food. As for the 1 token Korean and 4 honkey ratio, do not know how you calculated it out ? :) Since it's a token Korean, just bring any Asian, they wouldn't know :)

They're a bit tougher in Bajo Flores - you can name any number of Korean dishes, tell them 'me encanta la comida picante' or just threaten to take them before the INADI but they won't be moved. My exchange rate is just a rough estimation - the first time as a party of two we entered no problems with random Korean, the second time it was a party of four subhumans, I was the last to enter and I watched the darkening visage of the owner as each honkey went past him - I don't think a fifth would've made it.

The first place also told me that Chinos would be considered acceptable imitation Koreans.

Back