La Parrilla de Raúl

Redpossum

Registered
Maipú 665
So, three blocks east of 9 de Julio (toward the river, if you're not good with directions), and the second block south of Cordoba.

Raúl, the owner, used to work at Parrilla La Soñada (same street, the first block north of Cordoba). I like the guy. He's one of those sorts who exemplify that quote about most men living lives of quiet desperation. It takes a while to get to know him, but I was a customer at La Soñada for years.

I stopped in last night for my usual vaciopan con fritas to go. It came to 1900 ars, but I gave Raúl 2500 and told him keep the change. It's only 5 bucks, I can make that teaching EFL for half an hour, and at that I'm underpaid.

He had a new parrillero working the grill, and the guy was clearly overwhelmed. That feeling of being very new on the job, when nobody is telling you anything, but everyone expects you to know everything. New Guy made my sandwich "completo", with lettuce, tomato, ham, and a fried egg, which I hadn't asked for or paid for. Raúl saw this and got that boss look on his face, like "you have screwed up, and cost me money, and I'd like to rebuke you but I don't want to make a scene in front of the customers, so I'm just going to stand here and give you stinkeye for a long 30 seconds".

I saw this happening, and started making a big deal about how delighted I was to have it completo, how good I looked, how grateful my belly would be. I gave Raúl another 200 pesos and smiled a lot, wishing everyone cheerful farewells as I left.

The sandwich was excellent, and my belly was indeed grateful.

I have eaten at both, and prefer La Soñada, but both are good, and good value, neighborhood food.

Back