Lack of seafood in Argentina

That's interesting... I know there are lots of iffy Chinese restaurants around, but are the places in Chinatown poor as well? I haven't been brave enough to try Indian restaurants here yet.
Someone will probably say restaurant X is fantastic but in my experience of the few I tried in Chinatown it is better but still not great. In the UK Chinese restaurants I class as fantastic were common. I have yet to find one that reaches that here. Some have been passable, a couple almost good, and most horrible. I would be very happen to have some reccomendations.

The situation around Indian food is worse. I also miss a good old kebab shops like back in the UK.

I understand that farmed fish in general is fattier, since it's caged and doesn't get to move around so much. Kind of like us in quarantine here. Other than that, I don't know.
In some instances, farm raised seafood is a lot scarier than that!

For instance, there are tanks of whatever living below an upper level of say ... chickens. The chickens are walking on a kind of screen surface, such that their feet have a stable surface, but their feces can fall below into the water below to nourish the aquatic life. I kid you not! This is a very common practice in Asia.

Absolutely, no farm raised fish or shellfish products for me!

How can I know if salmon is fresh or farmed?

I used to fish in Scotland although I can't say I was very successful in catching salmon. The main differences between farmed salmon and wild salmon is the colour of of the 'meat'. Wild salmon have redder meat as they feed on small shrimp out at sea....they don't eat when they're in fresh water. Size of wild salmon varies whereas farmed salmon are usually killed when they reach a certain size.

I feel more secure here than I would feel in the States.

I feel very secure in Argentina compared to when I lived in Glasgow....although I should say I never experienced any problems when living in Glasgow. However my earlier posts weren't about personal safety rather more about peace of mind overall.

I used to fish in Scotland although I can't say I was very successful in catching salmon. The main differences between farmed salmon and wild salmon is the colour of of the 'meat'. Wild salmon have redder meat as they feed on small shrimp out at sea....they don't eat when they're in fresh water. Size of wild salmon varies whereas farmed salmon are usually killed when they reach a certain size.

Talking about farm raised salmon, several times in the past in Chile the cages were damaged during a storm and as many as 300,000 salmon escaped .The salmon tried to swim up local rivers, much to the benefit of the locals that, like Alaskan bears, were catching a handful of salmon. A windfall benefit
´

Right, A FEW Argentines. I used to order it but don't anymore, after reading about the problems with farmed salmon.

In Washington I used to buy fresh Dover sole, flown every day in the Concorde - a heavenly delicacy. The Concorde also flew in freshly baked French baguettes, but I drew the line at that.

Fresh fish is flown daily from Europe, Alaska etc to the US on regular jets. You can get it at places like Whole Foods.

Talking about farm raised salmon, several times in the past in Chile the cages were damaged during a storm and as many as 300,000 salmon escaped .The salmon tried to swim up local rivers, much to the benefit of the locals that, like Alaskan bears, were catching a handful of salmon. A windfall benefit
´

:)

Chilean farmed salmon had a dodgy reputation a while ago. I think they were feeding them pellets with a red dye to give them redder flesh. I stopped eating it but a couple of months ago I bought some and it looked and tasted fine. Poached salmon is my favourite method of cooking it.

Someone will probably say restaurant X is fantastic but in my experience of the few I tried in Chinatown it is better but still not great. In the UK Chinese restaurants I class as fantastic were common. I have yet to find one that reaches that here. Some have been passable, a couple almost good, and most horrible. I would be very happen to have some reccomendations.

The situation around Indian food is worse. I also miss a good old kebab shops like back in the UK.
“Mumbai” is the best that I have managed to find (but you really have to insist they spice it and even then it comes out “mild” ... but spicy enough to kill most Argentines I suppose) Keen to know if anyone has good suggestions?

I actually tried a very good angel fish (?) and langostino curry last the other day from that place.

:)

Chilean farmed salmon had a dodgy reputation a while ago. I think they were feeding them pellets with a red dye to give them redder flesh. I stopped eating it but a couple of months ago I bought some and it looked and tasted fine. Poached salmon is my favourite method of cooking it.

There were some problems with the Red Algae infection, also claims that too much hormones and antibiotics were being used , many of these claims were promoted by the Norwegian competition...! many claims were proven to be unfounded..!
Poached Cold Salmon with a Bearnaise Sauce ? is wonderful .
My favorite smoked sliced salmon , bagels, cream cheese, onions , capers

1599175686224.png

Back