Lack of seafood in Argentina

There were some problems with the Red Algae infection, also claims that too much hormones and antibiotics were being used , many of these claims were promoted by the Norwegian competition...! many claims were proven to be unfounded..!
Poached Cold Salmon with a Bearnaise Sauce ? is wonderful .
My favorite smoked sliced salmon , bagels, cream cheese, onions , capers

View attachment 7284

Good to know. It's actually quite nice and makes a change from merluza. I used to buy smoked salmon in Vea before it disappeared which although not great quality was okay.

Good to know. It's actually quite nice and makes a change from merluza. I used to buy smoked salmon in Vea before it disappeared which although not great quality was okay.

Sliced Smoked salmon in Santiago today sells for US$36,70 per kilo from manufacturer, at supermarkets perhaps US $40.

Should I even bring up the quality (lack of) of Argentine sushi!?

Never had the guts to try it to be honest. Given the only Sushi outlet here didn't last very long it was a wise decision.

There were some problems with the Red Algae infection, also claims that too much hormones and antibiotics were being used , many of these claims were promoted by the Norwegian competition...! many claims were proven to be unfounded..!
Poached Cold Salmon with a Bearnaise Sauce ? is wonderful .
My favorite smoked sliced salmon , bagels, cream cheese, onions , capers

View attachment 7284

Oh god, a toasted onion bagel with lox and a schmear!

(You can keep the onions and capers)

Someone will probably say restaurant X is fantastic but in my experience of the few I tried in Chinatown it is better but still not great. In the UK Chinese restaurants I class as fantastic were common. I have yet to find one that reaches that here. Some have been passable, a couple almost good, and most horrible. I would be very happen to have some reccomendations.

The situation around Indian food is worse. I also miss a good old kebab shops like back in the UK.

Of my memories of the six months I lived in London, in 1977, the restaurants are the best part. Indian, Pakistani, Greek, Turkish, Chinese, Persian, Arabic, you name it. It was there, it was cheap, and it was damned good.

the seafood i miss the most here is big fat jumbo gulf shrimp. followed closely by quality sushi.

Where have you seen rare/raw beef? All the locals I know eat their beef "al punto", which is overcooked IMO. I have to tell them "muy jugoso" all the time and most times it's still overcooked to my taste.

Lot's of trucha here in the west. Most all restaurants have "rabas" on the appetizer menu. I don't prefer seafood so it doesn't matter to me.
I get my beef exactly how I want it. Vuelta y vuelta. Blue. Jugoso is too cooked for me.

That's interesting... I know there are lots of iffy Chinese restaurants around, but are the places in Chinatown poor as well? I haven't been brave enough to try Indian restaurants here yet.

And a Mexican restaurant with no corn tacos falls at the first hurdle, so that's all of them here in BA? Serving burritos is the second hurdle, that takes care of the rest. I don't care what shade you care to throw at the DF, the 2 years or so I lived there were some of the best of my life :-D
Fabrica del Tacos in San Telmo has corn tortillas. Their carnitas are pretty damn good and they make a really spicy salsa.

You can find smoked salmon in barrio Chino.

Back