Lactaid or something like it?

I don't drink milk, but Mrs. Pintor does, and while she doesn't use the word "disgusting", she does say that the milk in Ireland, for example, tastes much better. I don't understand why, surely in both cases the cows are mostly outdoors and grass fed? What's the difference?
In Argentina the milk at the store is generally pasteurized at ultra high temperatures, which is why it tastes burnt unless you can buy it direct from a farmer that doesn't. In some countries they can get away with not being legally required to cook the milk to death (a sign may be the fact that it comes in a bottle that needs to be kept refrigerated and not a cardboard box you can leave in the pantry for a year) but it will always taste better if it hasn't been cooked at all.

I don't drink milk, but Mrs. Pintor does, and while she doesn't use the word "disgusting", she does say that the milk in Ireland, for example, tastes much better. I don't understand why, surely in both cases the cows are mostly outdoors and grass fed? What's the difference?
AIUI goes something like this:

In Ireland and also the UK, fresh milk is heated below its boiling point (about 75-80°C for about 15 seconds) to pasteurise it. Here, long life milk is ultra heat treated at about 135°C for a few seconds and the product called "fresh milk" goes through exactly the same process but only for a fraction of a second. It affects the protein chains amongst other things which is why FRESH milk tastes different from "fresh" milk which tastes different from the fully UHT version.

AIUI goes something like this:

In Ireland and also the UK, fresh milk is heated below its boiling point (about 75-80°C for about 15 seconds) to pasteurise it. Here, long life milk is ultra heat treated at about 135°C for a few seconds and the product called "fresh milk" goes through exactly the same process but only for a fraction of a second. It affects the protein chains amongst other things which is why FRESH milk tastes different from "fresh" milk which tastes different from the fully UHT version.
I'm used to the taste of milk from US/Canada (which I'm certain is nowhere close to EU/UK standards for milk), and this was my understanding as well, the UHT process changes the flavor profile. The first time I tasted it here I thought it had soured, until I bought another one, and another, all different brands too.

I believe the closest I've found here is the La Serenisima in the bottle, it's UHT, but maybe they add something back in to make it less gross. Even the "leche fresca" here in bags I've tried have been weird.

That being said, I really like like the Tres Niñas Chocolate Milk, but it's pure lactose, so caveat emptor if you catch my drift 😅

Back