LAN Airlines - OUTRAGEOUS!!

It seems that if you log on Lan's Argentine web site and do everything in Spanish, you'll get the Argentine prices even if you don't have a DNI. At least on international flights--here to Chile let's say. At least that's the way it was a couple of months ago.

You can buy the cheaper tickets no problem, but when you go to the airport, they ask for your DNI.

i dont have a dni and dont like paying the extra fare prices of a foreigner, but at the same time im happy that my argentine friends who make hardly anything get a break. even then its usually too much for them. most of my argentine friends havent seen half of the places in argentina the average visitor does like iguazu or perito moreno. that is a serious shame. if your are willing to throw yourself into argentina and want the priviledges, then get a dni. one of the good points of lan is you do get there on time 99 percent of the time. i also find if you check often, and sometimes the very next day, for the same dates the price can be different by quite a lot. or look at the price for a different month. there are great variations by season and month.

buenosairesmike said:
It seems that if you log on Lan's Argentine web site and do everything in Spanish, you'll get the Argentine prices even if you don't have a DNI. At least on international flights--here to Chile let's say. At least that's the way it was a couple of months ago.

If you switch to the spanish (Argentina) version of the website and try to book a discounted (for AR residents) fare; you will get this warning:

IMPORTANTE: Las tarifas aquí indicadas están disponibles sólo para RESIDENTES de Argentina según artículo 4 de la Resolución 35/2002 de la Secretaría de Transporte del Ministerio de la Producción. En caso que alguno de los pasajeros no lo sea, éste puede comprar sus tickets en algunos de nuestros sitios internacionales de LAN.com. Durante el embarque se solicitará documentación que acredite la condición de residencia. Si no la tuviese, aquel pasajero con ticket en esta clase no podrá embarcar.

In other words; if you cannot produce your DNI at the airport they will deny you boarding.

But we're flying in a few weeks on discounted fares. I will report back about their "DNI check control" if it is any different than what the notice says.

diego7david said:
i dont have a dni and dont like paying the extra fare prices of a foreigner, but at the same time im happy that my argentine friends who make hardly anything get a break. even then its usually too much for them. most of my argentine friends havent seen half of the places in argentina the average visitor does like iguazu or perito moreno. that is a serious shame. if your are willing to throw yourself into argentina and want the priviledges, then get a dni. one of the good points of lan is you do get there on time 99 percent of the time. i also find if you check often, and sometimes the very next day, for the same dates the price can be different by quite a lot. or look at the price for a different month. there are great variations by season and month.

Hi. Foreginers are not paying an "extra fare price for foreigners". They are paying the regular fare. Residents (DNI holders) get a "discounted" fare by government decree that is not available to non-residents, and it seems is limited to a set # of seats per national flight. :)

this is a little off topic, its from the bbc.com may 8th about another two tiered pricing system.....smile......airlines aren't the only ones....

Marks and Spencer has agreed to end its policy of charging more for larger bras after a campaign by customers. The store took out adverts in Friday's newspapers admitting it had "boobed" and promising to standardise prices.
The "Busts for Justice" campaign was led by Beckie Williams, a 30G. Her Facebook group attracted more than 13,000 supporters.
Marks and Spencer had added an extra £2 to bras larger than a DD cup on the grounds that they cost more to make.
It is bringing all prices in line permanently, and as a goodwill gesture between 9 and 25 May will be offering a 25% discount on all bras.
Premium
Miss Williams, 26, from Brighton, was so angry that she bought a £3.40 share in Marks and Spencer to allow her to confront chairman Sir Stuart Rose at the next annual meeting in July.
She labelled the surcharge "unfair" and "ridiculous," while other members of the Facebook group called for a boycott.

larger bra = more fabric

At least these ladies are getting a little something extra for their additional money spent :D

diego7david said:
Miss Williams, 26, from Brighton, was so angry that she bought a £3.40 share in Marks and Spencer to allow her to confront chairman Sir Stuart Rose at the next annual meeting in July

Some people have far too much time on their hands and too little going on in their lives....

Hi.. I just wanted everyone to know that Lan Airlines is indeed charging for more money, however this is not the company's policy this is strictly regulated by the Argentinean Ministry of Tourism which has some kind of arrangement regarding domestic flights within Argentina. Now, I do not know the details of such law but I can tell you that the fare difference is based on having residency in Argentina (thus if you are Argentiean but your DNI says that you live in China.. too bad, you will simply have to pay more)

If you are really interested you can read the " artículo 4 de la Resolución 35/2002 de la Secretaría de Transporte del Ministerio de la Producción." Which means: The 4th Article of the Resolution 35/2002 issued by the Department of Transportation - Ministry of Production.. know you will have to dig in a little bit deeper if you want to read such part of the law in english.

This is the best I could do regarding why LAN Airlines is charging more money to a guy does is not a resident of Argentina.

Good Luck and enjoy the south...

Back