Landlady & Deposit...potential problems..

In the multiple apts I have rented, I have always gotten my deposit back in full. If you paid the deposit in cash, you should have it in your hand in cash when you leave. Invite the landlady to come the day before to do a walk through and advise her that when she comes the following day, you will take the deposit with you when you leave after she does final check. If she doesn't have the deposit, you will be staying in the apt until such time as she can pay you.

My guess - she prob spent the dollars if you paid in dollars and now she is scrambling to try and exchange pesos to get you back the dollars (not uncommon here).

good luck but def don't leave the apt until you have cash in hand.

citygirl said:
In the multiple apts I have rented, I have always gotten my deposit back in full. If you paid the deposit in cash, you should have it in your hand in cash when you leave. Invite the landlady to come the day before to do a walk through and advise her that when she comes the following day, you will take the deposit with you when you leave after she does final check. If she doesn't have the deposit, you will be staying in the apt until such time as she can pay you.

My guess - she prob spent the dollars if you paid in dollars and now she is scrambling to try and exchange pesos to get you back the dollars (not uncommon here).

good luck but def don't leave the apt until you have cash in hand.

If she can't find dollars, tell her that you will accept AR$5 : US$1 and then I'll trade you dollars for pesos at that rate. (I'd probably even settle for AR$4.8, but don't tell her that.)

She sent a text today saying that "it is usual to give the deposit back some days later so I can check everything is right as this is common practice especially when you rent an apartment for more than one year."

Wow. They really do think that all foreigners are complete chumps/human ATM machines, don't they.

Renting in BA is the equivalent to getting a tooth pulled and probably one of the worst aspects of expat life.

Most of the people I know have lost their security deposit or have had a significant amount reduced from the original amount because of supposed damage to the apartments, which ironically it seems to cost USD and US prices to repair.

I agree with everybody else, definitely try to talk to her in a friendly yet firm manner but dont give her back the place until she gives you back the security deposit.

People are starting to get very desperate for cash, especially in USD, and are making up new rules as they go along preying on foreigners who do not know ¨the way things are¨ and it´s not fair.

Any time I hear these any one of these phrases I know someone is about to try and scam, fraud or lie to me:
1) Quedáte tranquilo, que está todo bien.......
2) Vos no sabés como son las cosas en la Argentina.......
3) Así funcionan las cosas en la Argentina.......

Davidglen77 said:
Any time I hear these any one of these phrases I know someone is about to try and scam, fraud or lie to me:
1) Quedáte tranquilo, que está todo bien.......
2) Vos no sabés como son las cosas en la Argentina.......
3) Así funcionan las cosas en la Argentina.......

4) Aca no es inglaterra/estados unidos/turks and caicos islands, etc

davonz said:
I have rented 6 apartments here in the last 5 years, and I have always gotten the deposit back on the day i moved out and handed the keys over - so on that point she is talking crap...

Dont hand the keys over until she pays the deposit back or else you might be lucky to see your money at all. Things are getting tough here now, and she is probably having problems finding new tenants so wants to keep what she can.

The other thing she knows is once you leave the country it will be to much hassle for you to try to get the deposit back.

My rental deposit experience is different. I rented a few places before buying my own and have always gotten the deposit back several weeks after moving out. The owners wanted to make sure that I had paid all the utility bills. Unlike Australia, the title on bills doesn't change between tenants and the obligation to pay rests with the property not the tenant.

I do however agree that if you hand over the keys and leave the country you will lose the deposit.

Lee said:
This is a vile country and the people make it that way. They are certainly a selfish and sad lot.

The problem with Argentina is it's filled with Argentines!

This I was told by a couple of locals so at least some of them admit it!

Lee said:
Yes, we have had nearly the same experiences that you have with deposits. IN the 7 apartments over the past 5 years all have either found reasons to keep the full deposit or part of it with the exception of an American guy we rented from.

It is disappointing indeed but I have grown used to it as part of what and who Argentina and the people of this country are. I am trying to get out of here as I have stated many times and slowly making progress. Once out, I will not miss this place for a moment, nor will I miss or want to ever have contact with any person who is from this country. Even the wine from here leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This is a vile country and the people make it that way. They are certainly a selfish and sad lot. This is my opinion and as such, I really don't give a shit about yours so please don't both to respond stating the opposite. If you have sunshine shooting out of your ass while you are here good for you. Just see how long before you get hemorrhoids and then we can talk.

And as always...Have A Nice Day!

Jesus Christ, Lee, wtf?

Hi Guys...thanks for the advice. We met with the owner and verbally agreed to get the money the day we move out. I think she had been ill advised by a friend/rental agency who told her she was crazy to give us the money bacck on the day - i looked into it and apparently owners do sometimes hold the deposit a month to make sure you paid the expenses as somebody mentioned. However ours is a temp rental and we don't pay expenses anyway plus the contract says she has to return on the day so no logical or legal justification to her argument.

She checked the apartment which is in great condition yesterday and seemed happy everything is in order so lets see....

As others have said, its definitely better to negotiate in a firm but friendly manner. Being combative and confrontational doesn't get you anywhere in Argentina (apart from into the Casa Rosada it seems!) and you can't really win doing this unless you are genuinely prepared to change the locks and stay or go the legal route which will take a couple of years and cost more than the deposit...easy to say you will do these things but not always realistic or practical. Making threats should only be a last resort as this will 90% of the time make them more determined not to pay you...might make you feel better if you shop them to AFIP but it ain't gonna get you your money.

Another thing to recommend is to nip problems in the bud....don't wait till the last day to arrange getting the deposit back. Make sure you agree beforehand as then there is less opportunity for the owner to come up with excuses or not bring the money on the final day. Invite them to check a couple of days before then they can do a final check on the day and if everything is in order, its difficult for them to justify keeping anything unless they are 100% out to rob you which most aren't...they are just chancers who will try and pull a fast one if they think you won't notice or protest.

I'll let you know how it goes...not counting my chickens yet!

Back