Landlord Requiring $US, won't accept $AR

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone. I didn't feel that I should blindly just do what the landlord said without getting some preliminary feedback from others who have more experience and expertise.

Thanks!

First of all temporary rents in Argentina are illegal. The law is very clear: all rental of apartments are to be for a minimum of 2 years. There is many jurisprudence to the fact. I represented last year a client, a client that signed a 2 month contract, and we successfully turned it into a 2 year contract.

If the amount of the rent is over $1.000 (PESOS ONE THOUSAND), you MUST pay him with a check or ask for his bank account number to deposit, or pay by credit card. Art. 1 of law 25345.

Now art. 617 of the Argentine Civil Code, has several interpretations. Most courts accept that if the contract or obligation is in a foreign monetary form (this case US Dollars), you are allowed to pay it at the official exchange rate of the day.

It isn't illegal to have a contract in US Dollars.

bradlyhale said:
If your contract states the rent in dollars, you are legally obligated to pay in dollars. http://www.argentinafaq.com/my-landlord-wants-payment-in-u-s-dollars-is-that-legal/

TheBlackHand said:
How is paying in dollars " rolling over " ? And what does the landlords personal tax situation have to do with you ?

Please re-read my updated post above which you responded to. "Rolling over" is in paying more than they agreed to amount. Paying in dollars isn't a problem of note. The red flag is when one is required to pay an amount larger than the agreed to figure because the landlord is requiring a higher amount to secure black market dollars rather than the legal currency exchange rate for the monetary value. As for the business's tax situation, it's because it's a telling point about ones business practices when they intentionally break existing laws for their own profit. And like in any negotiation, that is something that is worthy of being utilized in the process, case pending.

I came here seeking advice and everyone was very helpful in bringing clarity. Thank you all again, take care and enjoy the wonderful day outside.

optcsa said:
First of all temporary rents in Argentina are illegal. The law is very clear: all rental of apartments are to be for a minimum of 2 years. There is many jurisprudence to the fact. I represented last year a client, a client that signed a 2 month contract, and we successfully turned it into a 2 year contract.

If the amount of the rent is over $1.000 (PESOS ONE THOUSAND), you MUST pay him with a check or ask for his bank account number to deposit, or pay by credit card. Art. 1 of law 25345.

Now art. 617 of the Argentine Civil Code, has several interpretations. Most courts accept that if the contract or obligation is in a foreign monetary form (this case US Dollars), you are allowed to pay it at the official exchange rate of the day.

It isn't illegal to have a contract in US Dollars.

They are not illegal. I suggest you read Article 2 of the Ley de Alquileres:

ARTICULO 2º — Plazos. Para los contratos que se celebren a partir de la vigencia de la presente ley, el plazo mínimo de las locaciones con destino a vivienda, con o sin muebles, será de dos años. Dicho plazo mínimo será de tres años para los restantes destinos.

Los contratos que se celebren por términos menores serán considerados como formulados por los plazos mínimos precedentemente fijados.

Quedan excluidas del plazo mínimo legal para las contrataciones a que se refiere la presente ley:

a) Las contrataciones para sedes de embajadas, consulados y organismos internacionales, así como también las destinadas a personal diplomático y consular o pertenecientes a dichos organismos internacionales;

b) Las locaciones de viviendas con muebles que se arrienden con fines de turismo, en zonas aptas para ese destino. Cuando el plazo del alquiler supere los seis meses, se presumirá que el contrato no es con fines de turismo;

Exchange rates are a tricky subject. That is why most owners only accept dollars. To not even have to worry about it.

So let me ask you, if all you need to do is go to the bank and exchange your pesos for dollars, why don't you simply do that ??

Quinn said:
Please re-read my updated post above which you responded to. "Rolling over" is in paying more than they agreed to amount. Paying in dollars isn't a problem of note. The red flag is when one is required to pay an amount larger than the agreed to figure because the landlord is requiring a higher amount to secure black market dollars rather than the legal currency exchange rate for the monetary value. As for the business's tax situation, it's because it's a telling point about ones business practices when they intentionally break existing laws for their own profit. And like in any negotiation, that is something that is worthy of being utilized in the process, case pending.

I came here seeking advice and everyone was very helpful in bringing clarity. Thank you all again, take care and enjoy the wonderful day outside.

I suggest you read the jurisprudence on art. 2. Since it clearly says: "Las locaciones de viviendas con muebles que se arrienden con fines de turismo, en zonas aptas para ese destino". All courts of the city of Buenos Aires consider that "zonas aptas" refer to vacation areas. And the city of Bs. As. isn't a vacation area.

I don't intend to be rude, but I have experience with temporary rental claims. Even though I hate that type of law...:p

bradlyhale said:
They are not illegal. I suggest you read Article 2 of the Ley de Alquileres:

ARTICULO 2º — Plazos. Para los contratos que se celebren a partir de la vigencia de la presente ley, el plazo mínimo de las locaciones con destino a vivienda, con o sin muebles, será de dos años. Dicho plazo mínimo será de tres años para los restantes destinos.

Los contratos que se celebren por términos menores serán considerados como formulados por los plazos mínimos precedentemente fijados.

Quedan excluidas del plazo mínimo legal para las contrataciones a que se refiere la presente ley:

a) Las contrataciones para sedes de embajadas, consulados y organismos internacionales, así como también las destinadas a personal diplomático y consular o pertenecientes a dichos organismos internacionales;

b) Las locaciones de viviendas con muebles que se arrienden con fines de turismo, en zonas aptas para ese destino. Cuando el plazo del alquiler supere los seis meses, se presumirá que el contrato no es con fines de turismo;

optcsa said:
I suggest you read the jurisprudence on art. 2. Since it clearly says: "Las locaciones de viviendas con muebles que se arrienden con fines de turismo, en zonas aptas para ese destino". All courts of the city of Buenos Aires consider that "zonas aptas" refer to vacation areas. And the city of Bs. As. isn't a vacation area.

I don't intend to be rude, but I have experience with temporary rental claims. Even though I hate that type of law...:p

The City of Buenos Aires isn't a tourist destination? Well golly, that's news to me.

bradlyhale said:
The City of Buenos Aires isn't a tourist destination? Well golly, that's news to me.

And to all the tourists that come here and rent apts for their vacation:rolleyes::D

From the transcripts of congress, it's clear that the intention of defining "vacation zone or area" is for "vacation areas" the city of buenos aires, is considered the "federal capital" and not a "vacation area".

Also many of the apts. bylaws (with application of law 13512) say that temporary rentals can't be in apt. buildings. So it's a huge legal discussion, but the fact is all of buenos aires civil courts understand that there is no TEMPORARY RENTALS allowed in apt. buildings in the city of buenos aires...

citygirl said:
And to all the tourists that come here and rent apts for their vacation:rolleyes::D

And yet there are thousands of apts rented to tourists every day and many rental agencies that do only that. And entire sections of the newspaper classificados dedicated to temporary furnished rental apts.

Back