Lap swimming in BA

mkub3905

Registered
I know their are several threads on this, but none in quite some time, and certainly not post pandemic

Any suggestions for a pool with lap swimming?
At least 20 meter (vs a “hotel” pool where guests swim “laps”)

Does the Y in Centro (?) have a pool?

With appreciation in advance
Mark

I know their are several threads on this, but none in quite some time, and certainly not post pandemic

Any suggestions for a pool with lap swimming?
At least 20 meter (vs a “hotel” pool where guests swim “laps”)

Does the Y in Centro (?) have a pool?

With appreciation in advance
Mark
The Y in centro does have a pool (25 meters) but it was closed for repairs as of last December. The question is how long are you staying in town. All clubs that I've attended required that you show a health certificate. You have to pass a stress test and get an EKG. I got mine done last week at the CIC (Centro de Imagenes Cardiologicas) Lavalle 1625. cost $3.500. The best pool in town without question is at GEBA in Palermo.
They have a huge 50 meter outdoor pool. They put a bubble over it in winter. The club is over 100 years old.
They also have 6 outdoor clay tennis courts and a huge outdoor track and field arena. I used to swim laps there when I first moved here. Later I moved out of that area so it was no longer practical to go. If you're in town for only a few weeks you might have to do with the hotel pools.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I recently joined Megatlon and there was no health certificate or testing of any sort. A big surprise.

Just an FYI, I recently joined Megatlon and there was no health certificate or testing of any sort. A big surprise.
I forgot Megatlon. I joined the Megatlon in Barracas club during the pandemic. The problem with this club is that they take your payment in one lump sum for the whole year. So I ended paying around $300 U$D for the year. I have a local debit card but they only accept CC.
So I had to use my Amex card and got charged the official rate. The pool is 25 meters long but is only deep in the middle, and the lanes are kinda narrow. Not that great.

I'm a crazy, multipatened inventor who's been living and working in Taiwan for the last twenty years. I'm also an avid swimmer. Unfortunately there is no good solution currently to the problem of finding a good place to swim. One of the solutions I've been working on for the last couple of years is the world's first 3D printed swimming pool. I'm on prototype #12 currently. A gantry-style 3D printer would print the entire shell in place overnight. Some secondary operations would be required to mount position sensors and two high speed centrifugal pumps.

The business plan would be to print 60 of these swim machines in place in a Costco-sized warehouse and make them available 24/7. Users would go online and reserve them in one hour blocks, including specifying their desired water temperature. They would be given dongles at the beginning of their swim times to activate their pools. Arrays of position sensors mounted at both ends of the pool would ensure the swimmer would never be able to reach the front nor be pushed to the back wall no matter how fast or slow they swam.

I'm in the process of re-locating my business from Taiwan ahead of the Red Dawn to somewhere in Latin America which is favorable for manufacturing/business.
Swim Machine.png

so a 3D printed Endless Pool basically?
I owned an Endless Pool but ended up taking it out because it was like trying to swim in a giant washing machine due to the fact that it recirculates the water in the same space you're swimming in. I'm aiming to solve the problem of finding a good place to swim with three innovations: recirculating a high volume of water effectively outside the swim space, low cost due to 3D printing, and position sensor arrays to control the water flow according to swimmer speed. I envision a future in which costly public pools would be replaced with 50 cost effective, in-ground Jetstream pools available 24/7 by online reservation. Each pool would be monitored electronically so any anomaly in swimmer behavior would trigger an alert which would drain the pool in seconds if not addressed.

What would be fun is if an innovation like this started in Latin America for a change and propagated to North America. After all, it's wealth creation like this that would solve Argentina's perennial fiscal problems rather than endless funnymunny schemes that lead nowhere.

sounds pretty cool! innovation is always a good thing

Back