Laptop Charger

Katser

Registered
Hey!

My OH's laptop plug has stopped working and is in the market for a new one.

Does anyone know how much he should expect to pay? I saw one website based here that has ones listed around 60 US Dollars.

His Laptop originally came from south africa so when he brought it to Ireland he bought a plug in Dublin for 15 Euro. (Maybe why it stopped working ;) but he can't afford 60USD on a Argentine salary now!)

Obviously we're aware that electronics cost a fortune here but can a laptop plug really cost this much?

Also any recommendations of shops we could go to that would be reasonable if indeed the price of 60USD is wrong.

I hope this post doesn't come across as completely clueless :eek:

Unless I do not understand, maybe do you mean the charger, not only the plug.

On mercadolibre, original ones seem to cost 60 USD as well while generic ones can be found around 40 USD.
Nevertheless, I'd recommend spending the extra 20 bucks for an original one, to get a more stable power supply (cheap ones maybe are not that stable and could damage your laptop).

Thanks French Jurist. I didn't even think to try mercadolibre.

Sorry I do mean charger- I always forget i'm typing for an international audience here not chatting down the pub! :)

What's the make/model of the laptop? I'll second the advice on sticking to the pricier, official kit. It's just not worth messing around; laptops are delicate things!

It an Acer Travel Mate 3270.

Anyone know any good computer shops? (i.e reasonably priced and friendly, my OH isn't the most technically minded and I'm leaving in the next few days so won't be able to go with him, not that I'm Bill Gates :p)

I think it will depend on price what kind of charger he buys. He might have to make do. It's quite old so if he ever returns to Ireland he'll probably need to replace it anyway.

Well, since I read you are not very tech minded, the problem might just be a fuse one !

At least it's worth a try to :
- Unplug the charger so that you don't get a new haircut (like an early 1980s new-wave singer)
- Unscrew the charger
- Look inside for a fuse that could look as a tiny glass cylinder with two metal extremities : if the tiny metal hilo inside the glass cylinder is broken, take it out, buy a new one for 1 peso et voilà !

It's really worth a try.

Back