Ugh, Laptop Charger Is 110 Only

Redpossum

Registered
Because I do learn (slowly), the repeated gentle reminders from steveinbsas about using the search function have taken effect. I actually searched on things like laptop charger, and I've learned that electricity in Argentina is 220-240V 50hz, that the plugs have at least two angled prongs and often a third ground prong that's vertical, and that most laptop chargers will handle the ~220V

Desafortunadamente, the AC charger for my Toshiba says under input voltage-

AC 100V 1.5A 50/60Hz

(and now a brief pause, gentle reader, while our intrepid marsupial hero shakes his fist in a generally westward direction)

So, I need both an adapter plug and a stepdown transformer, eh?

And these items will be readily available? Somebody suggested mercadolibre and then added, "Or you can find a charger in the galleria on Florida probably, they have tons of computer supplies and not priced so badly for Argentina."

Is this good advice? And is Florida a street?

Just buy a replacement charger that will handle both voltages. Shouldn't be expensive if you're still in the states and it will be 1000000000000000000000000x less of a pain in the ass than carrying around a transformer with you when ever you want to charge your laptop.

Edit: Are you sure that it just says 100V? That seems very odd, what model of toshiba is it?

Holy cow, I've never seen a laptop charger that wasn't multi voltage.

Another option would be to buy a real laptop adapter at that place off of Florida - Plaza Jardin???

I bought an adapter there for about $400 pesos. My model was a rare HP model and most places said I would never find one but I took the laptop and found one that worked. Had to go to about seven shops to find one.

wow that's crazy!!! check mercado libre for chargers that would work with your compu... might be cheaper to find a used/unwanted one than buying an adaptor and transformer.

or you can get one of these.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/transformador-110v-220v

The Florida street (yes that's what it is) is not bad. It does seem odd and you might have luck if you check on ebay or something. Argentine plugs and voltage are almost identical to those in Australia. FYI.

I had the same issue with my xbox 360. I got mine at a computer store for 100 ARS 6 months ago, so likely 140 now. It's twofold: plug in the NEMA plug into the box (small box, weighs like 4lbs though) and plug it in to the wall (most are 3 prong ones, euro do exist too) and it works as both an adaptor and voltage convertor from 220 to 110 and arge to NEMA.

Are you sure that it just says 100V? That seems very odd, what model of toshiba is it?
(above quote edited for brevity)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7PWRSY/

Thank you all, everyone who responded. Great answers one and all, much appreciated!

http://www.less4gadget.com/replacement-toshiba-satellite-s55a5359-45w-global-ac-adapter-charger-power-supply-p-44855.html

Back