Latin American Military Power

I learned from the video that Indian-Russian missiles are involved in Brazil's French submarine fleet.
And they'll try to spend 3 billion smackers on a fleet of helicopters.

I wouldn't hire any country's armed forces to be my personal shopper (if I had a choice in the matter), but you have to give credit to the international community of defense industries for their selfless efforts in egalitarian global cooperation.

I learned from the video that Indian-Russian missiles are involved in Brazil's French submarine fleet.

Nope. The kid who did that video messed up. The Brahmos missile is not part of the Brazilian military acquisition plans at all. The Brazilian military is acquiring the fully nationalized version of the French EXOCET submarine launched missile and a naval version of the domestically designed and build AVIBRAS AVTM-300 cruise missile.

MTC-3001.jpg

My good friend here in Argentina is a Malvinas War veteran and a former high ranking cournal in the Argentine army....artillery division. He trained and taught at the national artillery institute in Cordoba. Anyways, he said that Chile has quite an advanced military although it's probably Brazil that is the most powerful and advanced in the region.....at least this is what he tells me. When I lived in Santiago de Chile I saw military folks all over the place especially since I didn't live too far from "La Escuela Militar de Chile"

My good friend here in Argentina is a Malvinas War veteran and a former high ranking cournal in the Argentine army....artillery division. He trained and taught at the national artillery institute in Cordoba. Anyways, he said that Chile has quite an advanced military although it's probably Brazil that is the most powerful and advanced in the region.....at least this is what he tells me. When I lived in Santiago de Chile I saw military folks all over the place especially since I didn't live too far from "La Escuela Militar de Chile"

Once, before the Falklands War, I met the French military attaché in Chile who told me that because of its geography, "Chile is a difficult country to attack, but an even more difficult one to defend."

Once, before the Falklands War, I met the French military attaché in Chile who told me that because of its geography, "Chile is a difficult country to attack, but an even more difficult one to defend."

My friend ( who was rank of cournal during the war ) told me that he was stationed south of Mendoza near San Rafael. Argentina was seriously worried about being flanked by the Chileans from the border while occupied in the Malvinas and intelligence pointed to them (chileans) potentially luanching an attack from the Andes down into Mendoza....so they had a bunch of heavy artillery down there pointing up towards the Chilean border from Mendoza.

Besides, he said Chilean agents were covert in places all over Argentina during the war providing the british with secret surveillance on military bases on especially the big base down in Commodoro. One of the reasons why the Argentine despises the Chilean too this day....they still feel such heavy betrayal over it. My argentine wife remembers practicing bombing drills by having to go under the desks in school and at night during certain times the city had to go completely black.....they were worried about some coastal bombing raids from the British ( which they did consider by the way....

My friend ( who was rank of cournal during the war ) told me that he was stationed south of Mendoza near San Rafael. Argentina was seriously worried about being flanked by the Chileans from the border while occupied in the Malvinas and intelligence pointed to them (chileans) potentially luanching an attack from the Andes down into Mendoza....so they had a bunch of heavy artillery down there pointing up towards the Chilean border from Mendoza.

Besides, he said Chilean agents were covert in places all over Argentina during the war providing the british with secret surveillance on military bases on especially the big base down in Commodoro. One of the reasons why the Argentine despises the Chilean too this day....they still feel such heavy betrayal over it. My argentine wife remembers practicing bombing drills by having to go under the desks in school and at night during certain times the city had to go completely black.....they were worried about some coastal bombing raids from the British ( which they did consider by the way....

I crossed the border from Bariloche to Osorno shortly after the Beagle Channel near-war of 1978. There was conspicuous evidence of military activity on the Argentine side of the border. On the Chilean side, there was none.

I crossed the border from Bariloche to Osorno shortly after the Beagle Channel near-war of 1978. There was conspicuous evidence of military activity on the Argentine side of the border. On the Chilean side, there was none.

You were a bit further south than where he was positioned. San Rafael is about 200 kilos north of there. He said there was quite a bit of activity they had detected on the Chilean border up there near Mendoza....which was why they sent his division and a few others in the area just in case...... that's what he told me at least.

You were a bit further south than where he was positioned. San Rafael is about 200 kilos north of there. He said there was quite a bit of activity they had detected on the Chilean border up there near Mendoza....which was why they sent his division and a few others in the area just in case...... that's what he told me at least.

You appear to have confused a near-war with an actual shooting war.

Anyways, he said that Chile has quite an advanced military although it's probably Brazil that is the most powerful and advanced in the region.....at least this is what he tells me.

Militarily speaking, Brazil is on a category of its own in Latin America. It has the largest and best equipped military by a wide margin. It is the only nation in all of the Americas (besides the US) that has dedicated military satellites, cruise missiles, an aircraft carrier, AWACS platforms and it is developing a nuclear submarine. Its military is equipped with drones, laser guided weapons, helicopter gunships, amphibious assault ships and whatnot.

But this is today. Back in 1982, Argentina had the most technologically advanced military not only LATAM, but of anywhere outside of core NATO and Warsaw Pact countries. Back then, the Brazilian generals thought that they also had much superior strategists and doctrine. But the Falkland Wars showed that they were so very wrong about that.

http://youtu.be/-yl9OsbGmKg

They (the Argentine generals) started believing in their own bullshit. The Argentina military chain of command literally collapsed after the Falklands. Their army was in total disarray. If the Chileans wanted any Argentina territory, they could have just waltzed in and the Argentines would have been impotent to stop it. But they did not, because Chile had no interest in Argentine territory. The Argentines were the militaristic-expansionistic white supremacists a-holes back then, not their neighbors.

Back