Laundry? 5 á sec

turoati

Registered
Hey, this is probably a dumb question... I've just moved into an apartment in Las Canitas with my girlfriend and we need to do laundry. I see a lot of 5 a sec places which I assume are just laundromat that'll do the washing for you, however neither of us have either lived in a city and used one before... Am I correct? Do I just bring them a bag of clothes (in a regular laundry bag thing) and they'll know what to do?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Hey it's not a dumb question. I had the same sort of ideas when I first went. I've lived in many cities that have had this type of service before, yet I have never used them. NO worry. Don't over think it. I live in San Telmo so I don't know about 5 a sec but it sounds right. Just bring your clothes you want to have washed in whatever bag. Some places will hang on to the bag others will have you empty it. All you want is lava y seca (wash and dry) and they will fold it for you as well. That's it they will tell you when to come back and pick it up. That's it. Oh and don't forget your "ticket."

5 a sec is primarily a dry cleaner (sec=dry), but they don't clean anything for 5 pesos anymore.

For "wash and fold" look for small storefronts that have washing machines inside (lava ya for example).

The first time we used a lavaderia it was 5 a sec, it's a good place to get your feet wet with the whole concept of laundry service! Having said that, stevin is right, they are much more expensive than smaller storefronts. If you walk around your neighborhood, you will find smaller mom and pop shops that will be less expensive. Good luck! You will grow addicted to the laundry service.

-micheleandtom.com

Well I dropped off the clothes and it was $24 for a garbage bag full. Next time I'll try to find a small place.

I don't like the lavaderos here. They ruin your clothes. I would only use them for sheets and towels. I think they use very harsh detergents, mix all the clothes together without regard for colors, and dry at very high temperatures. All of my clothes come back completely shrunken. Be careful.

Do they have normal laundromats where you wash the clothes yourself? I haven't seen one, but I assume they've got to exist.

turoati said:
Do they have normal laundromats where you wash the clothes yourself? I haven't seen one, but I assume they've got to exist.

In almost three years have never seen one. Even if you aren't fluent, perhaps you could give yourself a quick Spanish lesson and then be able to be more specific about the way your clothes are washed and dried.

steveinbsas said:
In almost three years have never seen one. Even if you aren't fluent, perhaps you could give yourself a quick Spanish lesson and then be able to be more specific about the way your clothes are washed and dried.

Yeah thats what I did -- I can speak a little and I looked up what I needed to say, and I think they got it. Its really not that big of a deal, just a different situation because I've not not done my own laundry.

I guess these are the life changing situations that arise from travel! :)

Back