Leaving the country late - twice

EireannJ

Registered
I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic here, but was hoping to get some up-to-date info from you helpful people...

I left Argentina last year after my 90 days had already run out, and paid the 300 pesos at the airport with no problems. I was also allowed back in again this year with no problems. My question is - if I plan to stay until the end of the year, should I start doing visa runs to Uruguay or can I just leave late again?

I've read here about the '3 strikes' rule when it comes to late departures, but then others have said that they have left late and re-entered many times without trouble. I'm also thinking abut going to Brazil for a week in the meantime - and am wondering if I can pay the 300 pesos when leaving for Brazil, but then still be allowed back into Argentina after my trip away.

Basically, I'm wondering why so many people do visa runs every 90 days when there seems to be no problem with leaving on an expired visa, paying 300 at the airport, and gettting back in again???

Has anyone ever heard of someone NOT being allowed back into Argentina?

No.not from this website.

We just measure the temperature, and alert when someone senses some change or gets a tonguelashing at the border.

Much like the spoiled Argentine student who gets warned continually without consequence, the continually overstaying foreigner has just gotten his knucles verbally rapped and then grins and carries on regardless.

I have been here 6 and a half years and have yet to hear of anyone not being allowed back in (myself included) But if you wish to keep things up to date, before your 90 days are up you can go to imigration in retiro and renew your visa for another 90 days.(cost $300 pesos)But you can't do this twice in a row.
You really have nothing to worry about. I would just do whatever is most economically suitable for you.

Yes, it has happened and when they say you cannot go back, they mean you cannot go back. There is no "picking up your stuff from the apartment" trip. And Immigrations is getting a lot more strict that it used to be. The term is "falso turista" although I don't remember exactly. Bottom line is, you can keep doing what everyone else does which is go to Uruguay every 90 days or chance it every time you go to the airport. It's a toss and it might never happen to you or anyone you know, but then again, if it happens, don't be surprised. They are within their right. Don't mean to alarm you, but for people to say you have nothing to worry about, well, that's a bit of a stretch.

It happened to my friend, she'd overstayed and paid always and didn't realize there was a limit. The fourth time she did it she came back from a work trip in Japan and they wouldn't even let her in to pick up stuff. It took her 5 months of mucking around in the States to get a student visa to come back. And then she had to go to school, ugh!

I've never heard of anyone being denied but as a matter of prudence, it is a good idea to obey the laws of the country and not overstay. And if/when you decide to stay long-term in the country, it would be a bad idea to have a history of repeated violations.

There is a "black list" and for each time you are going late out you will get an entry on it ;) Up to 3 times you should not have any trouble but be aware that they can every time change the rules for it.

A friend of mine was informed one time by leaving the country that he will not coming back because he had 3 late outs. It was only a short trip to Uruguay but he don't had a trouble to come back again. I guess it is more a stuff what Migracion guy/chick you will have on the counter. If he don't likes you and will take a look to the "black list" you can be in trouble.

Best choose is to get 90 days visa - renew it in Retiro for 90 days and leave each 6 month for 1 day the country. But be careful with that way. Because if you have a 90day renewed VISA (example expired on July 1st) and you will go for a trip right now and come back some days later you can have bad luck and will get only the turist visa for the rest time up to July 1st !!! So if you have renewed don't leave more than 3 weeks before the country to renew it.

schef4711 said:
Best choose is to get 90 days visa - renew it in Retiro for 90 days and leave each 6 month for 1 day the country. But be careful with that way. Because if you have a 90day renewed VISA (example expired on July 1st) and you will go for a trip right now and come back some days later you can have bad luck and will get only the turist visa for the rest time up to July 1st !!! So if you have renewed don't leave more than 3 weeks before the country to renew it.

I almost had some trouble with this. I made a trip to Uruguay a couple weeks ago even though my extended tourist visa didn't expire until June 2. On leaving, the immigrations officer asked me a few questions, gave me a funny look, and then wrote on the exit stamp R/T and 2/6/10, which is a bit strange and led me to believe they would not grant me another 90 days upon reentering. Fortunately, it was granted. Although upn leaving Uruguay the immigrations officer closely inspected my passport, asked me what I was doing in Argentina, and hesitantly gave me the 90-day stamp that usually goes along with the entrance stamp. I was a bit nervous but it all worked out.

Good luck..

AlexfromLA said:
This is when having more than one passport comes in handy.

Only if you have a a different name and date of birth in each of them (BAExpats passim)

Back