Leaving The Country With Kids (And Money)

pr1970

Registered
Hi All

We`re shortly going to be returning to the UK for good , i`m going to be leaving first and then a couple of weeks after
my wife is going with our kids. I just wanted to check about leaving the country with children who have a different surname to their mum, she has her birth name on her passport even though we are married. She is Argentine but has a British passport that she will travel on as do our kids, who were both born in the UK.
We have copies of the kids birth certificates that state both our names. If its necessary would it need translating into spanish does anyone know?

And another question is, the rule for taking cash out of the country/entering another seems to be $10,000 or 10,000euro into Europe. I seem to be seeing conflicting info as to if that is per person or for a travelling family. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Regarding to the cash: you can take up to 10k euros without declaration per person (even though I'm not sure if this applies to children too, but you and your wife are considered as separate persons, not as a family), over that amount you have to declare it. Note that if you'd travel with your wife and have 15k with you, you'd still have to declare it if just one person carries the whole amount, while no declaration is needed if you have 7k and your wife 8k on you and the money belongs to each person. Be aware though, that it might arise suspicion if you split 20k into exactly 10k twice (structuring); the declaration process is also pretty straight forward.

I think it's not very well written on the page: if you travel with a family and have all money (more than 10k) on you, then you need to declare it - similarly if you'd travel with the same amount alone. But the limit applies - unlike in the US for example - to each person individually: http://ec.europa.eu/...cle_6139_en.htm

I think you can only take 10,000 dollars out according to Arg law

You can take 10,000 euros in .....

If you had an inspection , you know who would win. Maybe someonne can clear it up....

Not sure how the kids thing works . Your wife must leave Argentina on her Arg passport even though she can enter GB with her British passport .

Maybe a small amount spent on a public notary allowing them to travel alone with her can avoid a huge headache when you are not around to help.

Best of luck!

For the kids, you need to go see an escribano. If your wife is leaving with the kids, without you at the same time, you will need a document that allows her to do so. It doesn't matter if they have the same surname as your wife or not, or if she can prove that the kids are hers as well as yours with birth certificates (although that's needed at the escribano) as without both parents the one absent has to give permission for the kids to leave the country with the one traveling. An escribano should know exactly what you need.

We just traveled to Europe and I remember it being a limit of $10,000 per family, if you are all traveling together. I was surprised as I thought it was allowed for each adult. Also, the major issue you could encounter is most likely in taking money out of Argentina, not bringing it into the UK. I would make sure you have the very latest information before you head for Ezeiza.
Also, a resounding second to what ElQueso just mentioned about your wife traveling solo with your kids. We almost had that problem years ago leaving the country, and I know there are some horror stores on this site about people being denied to board because they didn't have the stamped, signed and sealed letter of permission from the non-traveling parent. Make sure you have a legal and officially certified letter with you giving explicit permission for your children to leave the country without you. Argentina immigration doesn't mess around on that one.
Best also to travel too with an official copy of your children's birth certificates and your marriage certificate.

To exit Argentina the Limit is US$10K as posted in all airports. Never seen a mention of Euros.

We just traveled to Europe and I remember it being a limit of $10,000 per family, if you are all traveling together. I was surprised as I thought it was allowed for each adult. Also, the major issue you could encounter is most likely in taking money out of Argentina, not bringing it into the UK. I would make sure you have the very latest information before you head for Ezeiza.
Also, a resounding second to what ElQueso just mentioned about your wife traveling solo with your kids. We almost had that problem years ago leaving the country, and I know there are some horror stores on this site about people being denied to board because they didn't have the stamped, signed and sealed letter of permission from the non-traveling parent. Make sure you have a legal and officially certified letter with you giving explicit permission for your children to leave the country without you. Argentina immigration doesn't mess around on that one.
Best also to travel too with an official copy of your children's birth certificates and your marriage certificate.

Last year we traveled to Mexico. My wife and child have Argentine passports, I travel with my Canadian passport... my passport number changed when I last renewed it. This was a problem as the 'red book' documentation quoted my old passport number. We were almost denied boarding because those numbers did not match. Now I take old passports just in case.
Not sure how wit works with UK passports, check that your documents have updated and matching references as well as relevant photocopies, this is on top of the stamped travel certificate for the children. Things can be very stressful very fast.

Yikes. Those EZE immigration officials are relentless. All of the loopholes that exist elsewhere in the country seem to disappear at those little windows. They didn't like my Migraciones tourist visa extension stamp one time through (unfortunately, it was on the first page) and I thought I was going to miss my flight. Should have just gone on the Colonia run!

Last year we traveled to Mexico. My wife and child have Argentine passports, I travel with my Canadian passport... my passport number changed when I last renewed it. This was a problem as the 'red book' documentation quoted my old passport number. We were almost denied boarding because those numbers did not match. Now I take old passports just in case.
Not sure how wit works with UK passports, check that your documents have updated and matching references as well as relevant photocopies, this is on top of the stamped travel certificate for the children. Things can be very stressful very fast.

Back