Leaving The Country With Kids (And Money)

Yeah - they completely do not joke around when traveling with kids. Your wife must exit on her Argentine passport, not her British passport FYI. You will absolutely need the letter authorizing her to travel alone with the kids. I believe you can get it done with the city now (assuming you live in Cap Fed). She will also need their original birth certs as well as IDs, etc. I *don't* think the burt certs need to be translated but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Since you are traveling separately on separate flights several weeks apart- you really shouldn't have any problems carrying 10K per person. I would advise not going over that limit per person more to avoid the hassle and potential risk while leaving Argentina.

Isn't there an issue with Argentine citizens (or residents) leaving with US dollars? I don't expect you would be inspected on exit, but I remember the currency-sniffing dogs catching people at borders. I know this had to do with money laundering more than anything, but if you are not "allowed" by AFIP to have a certain amount of US Dollas and they catch you, even having not exceeded the maximum undeclarable amount, would there be a problem?

BTW - I didn't see any currency-sniffing dogs when I left the country a month and a half ago and I'm not saying there will be a problem, but it's good to know what the risks are...

From both the IATA and the AFIP websites the dollar thresholds are different for different aged children.

From the IATA Website:

Currency Export regulations:
Local currency (Argentine Peso-ARS) and foreign currencies: prohibited unless exportation is made through authorized financial and foreign exchange entities, for amounts above:
-USD 10,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged over 21 or independent minors; or
-USD 2,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged between 16 and 21 years; or
-USD 1,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged under 16 years.

From the AFIP Website:

Exit of bills, coins and precious metals from the Argentine territory (RG 2705)

The travelers, older than 16 years old and emancipated, can exit the Argentine territory with a maximum amount of ten thousand American Dollars ($10,000) or its equivalent in precious metals, cash, traveler’s checks and/or other currency.

However, the amount shall be of five thousand American Dollars ($5,000) or its equivalent in precious metals, cash, traveler’s checks and/or other currency in the case of travelers under the age of 16 years old and not emancipated.

These limits shall be applicable to each traveler or crew. The currency exchange shall be made using the exchange rate of the day prior to the exit informed by the Bank of the Argentine Nation. The legal tender is excluded from this limitation, without prejudice of the Customs declaration (Form OM-2250-A), when the total amount that will exit the country is equal or above ten thousand American Dollars ($10,000).

The currency exchange shall be made using the sellers’ exchange rate of the day prior to the departure informed by the Bank of the Argentine Nation.

As a retired customs officer (US) I like the Argentine requirement of a certified/notarized letter from the parent not traveling with the children, giving permission. You'd be somewhat surprised (l know I was when I first started working for CBP) at the volume of phone calls received at the border regarding one parent taking their children outside of the U.S. without permission - especially with divorced parents. I have a friend going through a nasty divorce. Her soon to be ex-husband is only allowed supervised visitation of his daughter (only at his parent's house, only for a few hours a week). He has stated he will "take" his daughter to Canada whenever he wants...oh snap that won't be a good thing - both the U.S. and Canadian Customs and Immigration Officials are already and are waiting for his very short visit to Canada and return to the U.S. The welfare and protection of children at the border has become a very high priority - not that it wasn't before - but it really isn't something you'd want to try now.

Yeah - they completely do not joke around when traveling with kids. Your wife must exit on her Argentine passport, not her British passport FYI. You will absolutely need the letter authorizing her to travel alone with the kids. I believe you can get it done with the city now (assuming you live in Cap Fed). She will also need their original birth certs as well as IDs, etc. I *don't* think the burt certs need to be translated but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Since you are traveling separately on separate flights several weeks apart- you really shouldn't have any problems carrying 10K per person. I would advise not going over that limit per person more to avoid the hassle and potential risk while leaving Argentina.

ON our last departure as a family, both parents and kids together they kicked up a fuss that we didn´t have certified translations of the birth certificates...our Bsas travel folder is 2 inches thick with old passports, DNIs, marriage certificates, original birth certs etc and this time they wanted translations...Never underestimate the requirements!!

Thanks for all the responses.

Will make sure we have all the required documents and stick with under $10,000 to be safe.

Leaving the country as one parent with children you'll need a letter of authorization. Most any escribana can do this for you (mine cost about 1,000$ a few weeks back).

I am curious though, does anyone know what happens when you declare more than $10,000?

Leaving the country as one parent with children you'll need a letter of authorization. Most any escribana can do this for you (mine cost about 1,000$ a few weeks back).

I am curious though, does anyone know what happens when you declare more than $10,000?
Thanks.
From what I understand if you declare more than $10k you need to have supporting documents of the source of these funds. If not they can confiscate up to $10k.

Thanks.
From what I understand if you declare more than $10k you need to have supporting documents of the source of these funds. If not they can confiscate up to $10k.

Actually no, they can confiscate the entirety of what you are carrying -- ie if you are carrying 60k and don't declare it and they find it, they can take the 60k -- it's supposed to be that they can take it until you present papers to verify legitimate origin of funds, at which point they return the money to you, but in Argentina frankly if they confiscate it I wouldn't hold my breath about getting it back. In Canada once they can verify origin they will return the funds but with a fine of up to 2500 bucks for not declaring:

http://www.rcinet.ca...order-services/

Back