Leaving to Europe with pesos

elkoay

Registered
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this article so I thought I'd try this category. I'm leaving Buenos Aires in a week and have a surplus of pesos which I miraculously saved from work.

I was wondering if anybody is aware if there are any challenges exchanging pesos to Euros in Madrid. I know the exchange rate here is pretty ridiculous so I'm trying to avoid losing too much if possible.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this article so I thought I'd try this category. I'm leaving Buenos Aires in a week and have a surplus of pesos which I miraculously saved from work.

I was wondering if anybody is aware if there are any challenges exchanging pesos to Euros in Madrid. I know the exchange rate here is pretty ridiculous so I'm trying to avoid losing too much if possible.

cheers
I've check for pesos to dollars in Europe in last august, and the rate in street-exchange-shops was quite HIGHER than local blue market.

regards!

My partner went to Madrid 2 months ago and could only get a few Euros before he went. So he took a chance and brought some Arg. pesos with him. The exchange rate in Madrid was actually BETTER than here by about 10%. As you all know, there is no way to guarantee anything related to Arg. currency, but we're all aware how here in Buenos Aires, they take as much advantage of you as they possibly can - ALWAYS!

Thanks everyone, that's great info, I just wanted to be sure I could exchange them in Madrid, I won't bother doing any exchanges here :)

Thanks everyone, that's great info, I just wanted to be sure I could exchange them in Madrid, I won't bother doing any exchanges here :)
The problem is that you will not be sure of that until you get to Madrid, as what worked for one person two months ago very may not work for you today.
There was another similar thread a week or so ago from a guy who was in California stuck with 10,000 or so Pesos, and couldnt find any were to exchange them, never mind the rate, though I do personally know of one place in California that will buy them though the rate is north of 7. If you need to exchange the Pesos, I wouldn't risk it, instaed I would try and sell them to friends for around the Blue rate(6.20/6.30), but if you do decide to take the risk come back, and let us know how it works out.

You're right there's always a risk. Unfortunately I don't have any friends here that have euros they want to part with, if there's anyone that wants to do an exchange at that rate, I'd welcome that. Evens out the risk a little I suppose.

Go to Calle florida and you will get about 1 euro for every 7.20 peso, it's a steep price to pay but it's not like you have a lot of options

You're right there's always a risk. Unfortunately I don't have any friends here that have euros they want to part with, if there's anyone that wants to do an exchange at that rate, I'd welcome that. Evens out the risk a little I suppose.
Just so everyone is clear I was talking Dollar/Peso rates, Euro rates would be 30% or so higher. I wish you the best of luck, as I suspect you will need it.

Hi Everyone;

I just wanted to give some proper facts and hopefully this will help others that might be in or will be in the similar situation i was in and not freak anyone out.

1) Foreigners can exchange money at the official rate at proper exchange places, provided you have the receipt proving you had changed your money to pesos in Argentina and that you have not overstayed your tourist visa.

2) I changed pesos to euros at a rate of 8.02 with a contact but find out what notes they have because smaller bills are difficult to come by so you may have to have enough for 500 euros for example

3) You can change pesos at Madrid airport, however they have a limit as to how many pesos they will buy on a daily basis. If you arrive early this should not be a problem, however the rate was higher, 8.45 pesos for 1 euro

4) If you have extra pesos you can always spend them at the airport shopping!

Of course rates will change but this was my experience.

Once you get down to it and work out what risks youre willing to take its not that much of a drama. At least foreigners can ultimately leave.

1) Foreigners can exchange money at the official rate at proper exchange places, provided you have the receipt proving you had changed your money to pesos in Argentina and that you have not overstayed your tourist visa.

Jajajajajajajaja. Good luck with that one ;)

Back