Lebanese Woman Looking For Expat/locals To Enjoy Baires

Samra2

Registered
I'm arriving mid december to baires, I am Lebanese 30 yrs old , just quit my job to go on an adventure! I'm starting to get cold feet though about being lonely so I'd love if I can meet up with all of you expats and make some cool friends.. I lived In the USA for several years and in Beirut too. I dance the tango and my Spanish is basic but I'm hoping to improve that.. I will not have job so I will have a lot of time to just see the city and maybe go to the falls and Mendoza.
I'm arriving mid december hopefully with no return plans yet..
I speak Arabic and English, some French , and now Spanish. I'm energetic and spontaneous and very optimistic about the world. And single!

Let's arrange something here and see if we can gather a crowd!
Btw, what do you do in new years eve? Any interesting suggestions?

Hi Samra there are a lot of coffee chats and pub chats organized through this forum but they may slow down in Dec/Jan as a lot of people leave the city for a little while as it gets very hot and hard to do much in the heat. On New Years Eve there are a lot of fireworks and festivities- closer to the date you will see the English-speaking news papers and websites talking about various events and places to enjoy.

Thank you lucha54, good to know!
How hot could it be in December? In Celsius..

Hi Samra, what part of the city will you be staying in? Regarding the heat, it's already getting warm here so December is probably going to be unpleasant. I think last year it hit 40+ a few times.

My family (mother's side) emigrated from Lebanon. I've always wanted to visit Beirut!

Hi Samra,
It's not so much about the heat but about the humidity, whether you have AC, and the attitude of people when the summer starts to set in and they have not yet fled the city! Everyone goes crazy with end of the year business (finishing school, graduating, office parties, getting ready to take their vacation) and there is a lot of traffic, movement, and bad attitudes. Best to stay inside with the air conditioning until January 2!

Haha only kidding, but yes last year there were two heat waves, one in December and one in January, between 30-40 both lasting ~15 days!!!. Very humid and after about 6 days the weather forecast said the storm would come but they kept pushing the projection back to the next day until finally it came and cooled everything down a bit!! But the year before it was more cyclical - a few days hot, breeze comes back, a few days hot, breeze comes back. No way to know what will happen this year but trust me about the December stress.

Thanks so much for the info! So do you guys think February would be a better choice of time ? I would like to enjoy the walks and not have to feel like I'm melting haha..
What would you say is the best time to come??

Mimyr, you should totally come ! It's fantastic here, I hear it's similar to Argentina. But much smaller! Do you know what part they came from?

Well if you don't mind heat and are used to it, it's really not so bad! But if you are used to dry heat then you will be in for a shock! And if you are really so hot when you arrive just hop on a plane to Patagonia if you have the means... it's cool and beautiful in the mountains.

February is usually a bit fresher than January (and a bit more normal because people start to come back from their holidays and reopen the shops - not that everything is closed in January but any smaller stores may close for the month or have limited hours). Last year though, February was rain rain rain for maybe half the month. (I missed it because I was in Patagonia but people said it was terribly rainy). You really never know! I can only tell you what it was like the past 2 years that I've been here in the summer ;)

Don't worry too much about the weather; like I said if you can afford a plane ticket and are just too hot, go to Bariloche for a few weeks!!

Oh and in terms of the "best time to come" to BA - March, April and May are beautiful! Winter is cold but quite mild.. and Sept, Oct, Nov are beautiful too! It's all about the shoulder seasons!!!

This expat is looking forward to enjoy the Lebanese woman.

Back