Left my passport in an unregestered taxi and leaving the country!!HELP!

Rosef

Registered
Hi,

Can anyone help me, I very stupidly left my bag (which had my passport in it) in an unregistered taxi this evening.. I was supposed to be leaving the country by bus tomorrow so obviously this is not possible.Does anyone have any advice on how I get an emergency one and the quickest way I can do this, obviously I am rather panicked so anyone that could help would be much appreciated!!! Thank you.

You will need to go to your embassy in person tomorrow. Generally they tend to issue emergency passports only for travel back to your native country, but a British friend of mine recieved an emergency passport with valid travel between Arge and Uruguay in January this year.

go first thing in the morning to the country,s embassy of the authorised passport...que lastima Rose

we went on a cruise to Brazil and Uruguay last week and forgot our boys birth certificates as we were due to sail from Puerto Madero,I had to fly by taxi back to San isidro and arrived in the nick of time,good luck

Not sure of your country, but I know from first hand knowledge you can get an emergency passport from the Us embassy same day. Make sure you arrive before noon and then you will have to collect it after 2:30ish.

Thank you for all your advice. Do you think there is any point going to the police to check if it has been handed in and if so is there a head off police station or should I just go to my local police station?Thank you for the help.

if that was the case, the police would take it(well any sensible police officer would)to your embassy

All good advice above. In the meantime, there might be some things you could or should do. Bear in mind that most taxi drivers are just regular people who would help somebody out if they could (lots of stories on here about helpful taxi drivers and I could add a few myself) so: is there anything in your bag that could help someone get it back to you? A friend's cellphone number? What about the people you have put as contacts in the back of your passport? Did the taxi drop you off in front of your apartment building? Should you tell the portero in case the driver comes in with the bag?

Now... some taxi drivers are not so great, so ask yourself, is there too much information about yourself in that bag and should you take any precautions? If there are contact telephone numbers in your bag, then I suggest you contact those people and say what's happened to prepare them in case the driver makes contact. And tell them you are _not_ in hospital, have _not_ been in a car crash and have _not_ been kidnapped and on no account are they to wire money to strangers on your behalf - and yes that has happened to people close to me. Good luck: it may all turn out much better than you imagine

Rosef said:
Thank you for all your advice. Do you think there is any point going to the police to check if it has been handed in and if so is there a head off police station or should I just go to my local police station?Thank you for the help.
i don`t even think the police would know what to do should you arrived asking about such things, they`ll probably ask you if you want to put a complain on the unidentifyed taxi. there isn`t a missing items department or nothing like that. but do go if you want to.
was there any info in the bag that could lead to you? assuming the driver cares

Rosef I had my bag stolen, I contacted any credit card company, then went to the police to file an official report (figured the stmt I gave to the police at night wouldn't result in much), then immediately to the embassy, cancelled my movistar acct, ect. The embassy did not ask for the police report, nor has anything turned up but some keys and business cards. If you are leaving and dont plan on returning, just get an emergency passport and sort the rest out from home. I also sent a notice to the 3 credit agencies in the US as a precaution (experien, equifax and transition).

Back